Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FNG - Newbie -

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Forum;

I´ve been member of this forum for quite some time, but haven´t really do anything other than reading some topics here and there, I`m more active in the yahoo groups, but after they incorporated a large amount of adds, I though, ok, perhaps is time to move to other places.

and BOY I`m glad I did; this forum is more dynamic and easy to navigate.

little bit of me;

I come from Venezuela originally; but move to Denmark early 2000, I always been aviation freak, I started a Volksplane VP-1 project; but soon realize that wasn´t enough for me, so after I  moved to Sweden; I took my PPL and bought myself an Avid Flyer Model B;

I thought it was ready to fly, I was wrong, I found so many mistakes done by previous builder, that basically I re-build the whole plane again, took me around 3 years to correct and trouble shoot it all,  now that I`m happy with what I´ve done, is time for some flying...

I clock little less than 50 hours on my Avid, I`m a large pilot, but still once inside of the cockpit no problem at all, my longest flight was 2H:45min with out any major problem, my longest day on the air, was this summer when I flew more than 5 hours, from one airport to another, from one grass strip to another together with another Avid around South Sweden.

I haven´t incorporate all the upgrades you guys are so proud of, but I Will be doing it very soon.

I posted few videos of my flights in youtube, www.youtube.com/wolves200  so Friends and Family from motherland can follow my progress.

I love browsing people´s Avid photo albums and mostly interested/focus in bush flying, mountains, landscapes so on.

Be patient with my ENGRISH, since I speak/read/write already 3 languages, and I`m starting my 4th... it´s getting messy.

Thanks alot...blue skies for all...

Regards/Saludos/Hilsen/Hälsningar

Dimi3

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome to our little playground! It's nice to have members from around the globe! Post up pics! Oh, and your never done tinkering or upgrading, just when you think you have the plane perfect, someone will come out with an idea that you just have to try :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Don't worry about your English. You appear to write it better than most of us can here in America...

Welcome.

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome from Missouri too.

I just sold some landing gear parts to "Snowpaw" Ulf in Sweden for his Kitfox - Maybe the two of you can get together someday.

Congratulations on your flights and your English.

Good Flying,

EDMO

Posted

Dimi3 your video on Youtube is creeping up towards mine. I think your number 3 or 4 now on the list when you type in Avid Flyer. Two of mine are still the number one search results and they are crappy vids IMO...hahahaha. I watched your video last night and was curious if you could elaborate on your radiator/cowl set up a little bit. The front of your plane looks different than any other Avid I've seen which means you've been innovative and that always get's my attention. I noticed you still have the old crappy mechanical Go-kart brakes too. Here is a thread of how I totally transformed my plane but installing a set a Kitfox gear legs, Douglas ATV wheels, Matco Brakes, and custom Mike Schuetz brake pedals. By far the best mod I did so far!!

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/530-go-kart-to-matco-brakes/

And I guess I better confirm that this is the same Dimitri

Posted (edited)

thank you all for the kinds words; I`m trying to get everyone in Sweden involve in some sort of activity, I only know one person here.... I will search for ULF in the EAA website.

hahahaahaha!!!  HOW can you see I`m using the pain in the @$$ mechanical cart brakes..... :huh: those brakes are driving me crazy....but like I say before I haven´t done any of the upgrades you guys made, youtube is choosing random, that video is not my favorite video either.

I´ve spend the past 2 years working in the cowling and fixing the electrical problems, I broke 3 radiators within 30 min of operation, so I decided to work the whole thing from scratch, the original cowling was close to 10 kg in weight, many careless polyurethane reparation on it  from previous owner, now it weight around  3 Kg.

ignition, drove me almost mad, until John Miller point me on the right direction a drop of oil in a felt tip on the rider will keep the old 532 ignition point breakers working....worked like a charm... no more engine problems.

I`m with my cowling like you are with your landing gear, any time I see a picture of you, you have either different tires or different gear legs.

I was using a GSC 3 blade propeller, and turn out the engine doesn´t like it, despite is the same many other 532 engine, the lighter 2 blade prop works well; I even gain 8kt in cruise.

you have a little cushion pad for your left knee ......

Regards

Dimi3

post-162-0-74628600-1385221324_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-59263900-1385221328_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-23094000-1385221338_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-26424300-1385221371_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-27290600-1385221377_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-05221700-1385221384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wolverine

Posted

Dimi,

Welcome to our playground! This is much better than the yahoo site! I'm glad your here!!! Bryce

Posted (edited)

Dimi,

Welcome to our playground! This is much better than the yahoo site! I'm glad your here!!! Bryce

I second that welcome - Liked the video - 2 other things I saw besides the interesting cowl, was the rudder and no numbers on the fuselage. I wish I had your landing strip, but I live in a town.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Bryce;

Ed, what´s with my rudder???  could you get me the mail address of the guy Ulf you sold the LND.gear? I sent a mail, inviting all Avid and Kitfox owners in Sweden to meet and join this forum here, but more than half of the mail address came back as unvalid, I got them from EAA sweden or a kitfox.eu.

Regards

Dimi3

Posted (edited)

Thanks Bryce;

Ed, what´s with my rudder???  could you get me the mail address of the guy Ulf you sold the LND.gear? I sent a mail, inviting all Avid and Kitfox owners in Sweden to meet and join this forum here, but more than half of the mail address came back as unvalid, I got them from EAA sweden or a kitfox.eu.

Regards

Dimi3

Dimitri,

Your rudder looks great - more square at top than most Avids I have seen - but more like the Airdale - probably works better than the rounded rudders.

Send Ulf a PM on this site - I just got a message from him, but could not remember your handle - He is "Snowpaw" on here - If you don't know how to use the members list or send a message, we can help you. Cute plane - guess there is a reason for no numbers on it? changing countries maybe?

Best Wishes,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hey Ed; 

The story about the SE-YTA registration missing on the fuselage, is I should have pay more money for the stickers :-) :-) :-).... it fell off that particular day when I was washing the plane, it supposed to resist all type of weather..... anyway, I order a new ones, but this time I pay little more, and they stay on ever since....

I don´t like the rounded ruder either, nor the fat avid rudder, I was thinking to start building the Rans S-7 Courier and keep my Avid, and one of the things I would like to order from factory, is an Avid Ruder Shape instead of the original

I will browse on the member list, I guess I have to get use to all the features this forum has...

Regards

Dimi3

Posted (edited)

This site has a lot of good features - I like the RANS planes, but prefer the side by side seating Like the S6, or the new larger model - All kits are getting a little too high for my pension pay.

Randy is a good designer - don't think I would change his rudder - and don't think he will.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri