Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sling Seat -- reconditioning

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I`m happy with my sling seat, however is old an looks crappy, even thought the plane haven´t flow that much in total since they build it; 

I removed the 2" cushion foam from inside, and I will be putting reinforcements on the critical areas, not cushion but soft fabric instead, few layers; allowing me "hopefully..." to lower the seat without compromising comfort. the seat have some awful welding marks on it, so I bought new textile, and also a sew on custom patch (the one on the picture is a paper copy),

I´m planning to cover the flaperon push rods area making some sort of hanging bags right behind the seat shoulders; much like some of kitfoxes have.

I  have 2 aluminium protections over the push control rods, in case the sling seat fails, I will be not seating on top of the controls.

if you guys see anything wrong let me know please.

Regards

Dimi3

post-162-0-60495600-1385821307_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-01244000-1385821350_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-12979400-1385821389_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-12241000-1385821426_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-18560700-1385821461_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-83203600-1385821497_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-36053100-1385821535_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-07691000-1385821578_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-72131200-1385821612_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-05253700-1385821668_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wolverine

Posted

Be sure and post some pics of the finished product.

Posted

Great! I like that patch! Bryce

Posted

I replaced the pilots side of my seat with memory foam from http://www.seatfoam.com/ I was going to reupholster it to until I got a few quotes! Upholstery has gotten crazy! The foam was pretty dense and heavy that's why I only did the left side of it. It made it much more comfy on those longer legs. I logged 10.5 hrs in a single day last year with two 3+ hour legs and I don't think it much matters what you have if your doing that...

Posted

Hmm haven´t done anything about the sling seat just yet, but reading Joey´s big post, newsletters, I found an article in august 1993; made by John Miller, I hope is the same John we all know with TONS of experiene in Avid flyer, he posted some very low quality pictures of his MOD, I find it very interesting, here are some pictures from the artcile, I hope to get a real good quality pics of his work..... help...anybody???

post-162-0-01784500-1388021268_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-91637500-1388021271_thumb.jpg

Posted

Years ago I got a VHS from John Knapp showing alot of details of his Flyer. One was a modification to the seats. He took out the sling and fabricated something kind of like a bucket seat. It was just some sheet aluminum cut to shape and bent to fit, one for the pilot and one for the passenger. A small bend at the front would hang from the truss, then it angled down towards the bottom of the fuselage, then bent up towards the upper attach point, where the sling would usually attach. It looked like it would hang a little lower than the sling, so the effective headroom was greater. Some cushions would just lay on top of the aluminum sheet, and a small pocket was attached to the back of it for storage of small items. Some guards were installed over the control linkages to keep them from being sat upon.

I'm sure John would be able to provide some more details. I still have the VHS, I should probably get it converted to a digital format as there was alot of good information on there.

-Nate

Posted

Same John Miller thats on here. I just spoke with him. Hopefully he can give you some additional info. 

Posted

Well;

after a broken ankle, 2 screws and 8 weeks of doing absolutely nothing---Doctor said it was worried about blood clogh and amputation...I´m almost out of danger and ready to work on the workshop slowly... Can´t wait to fly this thing!!!

Now is time to get my @$$ in gear, Sew the sling seat, after tons of hours looking and asking questions in internet I decided that removing the cushion as per Bryce advise, would be the best and easiest MOD.

Turn out my SE-YTA patch will be useless since I will change to another registration number, any ambiguity with the meaning of that word is mere coincidence...cough---cough..ejem @£$$bull£@shit...

Regards

Dimi3

post-162-0-38803900-1399730422_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-93572200-1399730427_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-38465000-1399730449_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-99708900-1399730464_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

:lmao: Love the reg. #  They wont let up get away with stuff like that anymore over here.. Used to be able to get about anything we wanted for personalized plates for our cars , trucks.. but now they all go before a review board and they wont let you have anything good like that anymore.

Glad that your able to get around again and get back to flying!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok Dimi3, what's the story on your ankle? Glad your ok!!! I was thinking I haven't seen a flying video from you lately. Bryce

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hey Bryce....long story short, I free fall from a latter 2,5m fixing my new house and landed on my left ankle, like a say nothing that a 8 weeks of inactivity and a good surgery with a couple of screws can´t fix, how ever it will take 4 weeks more to be fully up and running, can´t wait to fly again!!

in the mean time I´m also busy fitting another of same engine on the plane, adding instrument on the panel, such as MGL E-1 engine monitor, Fuel Flow computer also MGL, the new radio, and a complete fuel system; reconditioning the seat and behind the seat, also a baggage compartment, sound/temp isolation, ETC...

I really want to go for a long camping trip this summer with my buddy and produce tons of videos along the way.

regards

Dimi3

how about yourself, bryce, haven´t seen any videos from your little robin bird!

Edited by Wolverine

Posted

Hey Dimitri, I've been doing a lot of work on the bird. Plus I've had a lot of family stuff going on hope to get in the air soon. Glad you're healing up! Bryce