Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Warp Drive prop for 503 DC

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone know what size and pitch of Warp Drive prop is recommended for a Rotax 503 dual carb? I need the specs for a three blade.

Thanks

Vance

1 person likes this

Posted

I am using a Ivo ground adjustable with my 912 and highly recommend one for your 503.  Very easy to adjust for Climb, Cruise, and Normal for your engine.  Ivo can get you into the right one.  Other than that, every prop maker's prop is different and the maker will be your best bet for info.

Posted

A friend of mine was running a 64" three blade IVO on his Avid A model with a 55 HP Hirth. He ended up putting a 66" or 68" two blade Powerfin on and climb went way up. Something like 200 FPM or more. 20% or so. I don't think the powerfin is really any better than the IVO blade for blade, but I do think the two blades were more efficient and that is what gave the better climb. If you have to have more blades to take the power from the engine, fine, but fewer blades are more efficient, all though not as smooth in operation. Jim Chuk

Posted

I am using a 66" 3 bladed IVO on my 503.

Posted

Of course a lot depends on what gear ratio you are running. My friends Hirth has a 2.23 ratio or something like that. If you have a C box with a 3-1 ratio, it would be different. Jim Chuk

Posted

Agree the two blade will give you more climb performance than a three. I had a 503 on a Phantom which came with a three blade GSC propeller. I think this prop was intended for a 532 but I was told it would work on my 503 with a 2.58 to 1 gearbox. I ran the prop for three years and was happy with the set-up. After an engine seizure caused by Steve Beatty's faulty installation of his Nippon Denso CDI conversion (I burned two engines up over his crappy work and a friend burned up one) I sent my engine to another rebuilder and was asked during a conversation what prop I was running. I told him a three blade GSC (I don't remember the length). I was told I was running to large of prop for my gear box and needed to use a two blade. I ordered a new two glade GSC prop and installed it on my plane. It was the worst thing I ever did to my plane. I did have better climb performance but the difference between the two and three blade was night and day. The three blade was just a much smoother running prop. The gear box never seemed to mind the difference in inertia of the three blade. I know from talking with others that you can overload a gearbox with to much prop but my set-up seemed to work good with no gearbox issues. I guess it just worked in my case.

My original instructor loved the IVO prop but did say they were less efficient than other props on the market. He was running a three blade IVO on a 582.

Vance

Post Falls, Idaho

Posted

Have you contacted Ivo or Warp directly? They usually pretty helpful in matching up a prop with your set up. Sometimes they go too conservative though I think. I ran my 2.62:1 582 on a 2 blade 70" tapered tip warp for a long time before I got the taste of the IVO IFA. The 3 bladed Ivo runs 10X smoother than the warp ever did and the ground adjustable version is much easier than a Warp. The warp with the nickel leading edge is pretty well bullet proof though. The Ivo is built lighter.

Posted

I understand that the Ivo GA is a lot lighter than the WD - Don't know how much difference - Would that make a difference to you?

EDMO