Avid MK IV Manual Section IV 912 Engine Installation

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is the complete Mark IV 912 Rotax  installation Manual Section IV Chapters 1-7 from Avid dated 11/2/1992.  These are in the tiff format.

Sect IV Ch 1.tiff

Sect IV Ch2.tiff

Sect IV Ch3.tiff

Sect IV Ch4.tiff

Sect IV Ch5.tiff

Sect IV Ch6.tiff

Sect IV Ch7.tiff

I just found out that on my IPad only the first page is visible so if that is the case for you then try it on a computer.

Edited by wypaul

Posted

Thanks for posting Paul. I was able to open them with no issues. If anyone has issues with this file type please let me know.

Posted

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 person likes this

Posted

Wonder how many engine failures took place before the moved the oil bottle to the firewall??? :hammerhead: 

1 person likes this

Posted

I know of one personally...

Posted

Hey Chris,

Where do they put the oil tank? Seems the baggage area would be great from a weight and balance standpoint. Thanks, Bryce

Posted

Bryce, the tank is mounted under the baggage compartment.

post-379-0-71497400-1386282291_thumb.jpg

Posted

The motor will starve for oil and will fail. The lines are too long for the oil pump to keep up.

The one I personally know ran this setup for a while before finally loosing the motor due to oil starvation. Luckily he was on the ground at the time.

Posted

Wow, those are strong words. How many of these Avid setups with the oil tank mounted like this have you seen or heard of that have failed?

This is the first time I've heard of a failure as you describe and I know of at least a handfull of 912 Avids that are setup like this and some have several thousand hours on them with no problems.

The motor will starve for oil and will fail. The lines are too long for the oil pump to keep up.

The one I personally know ran this setup for a while before finally loosing the motor due to oil starvation. Luckily he was on the ground at the time.

Posted

I would like to hear more about what would cause the failure with the MK IV setup Larry.  I am running this setup and if there is some problem sure would like to hear what is going on, this is the first that I have heard this (which does not mean much, there is a lot I haven't heard about these sweet little planes).

Posted

What I know of the setup is from a friend (ironically also named Paul) who had one.  He has since changed to the newer style engine mount with the oil tank under the cowl.

He has an early 912UL 80hp motor.  Very early.  He was having wild fluctuation of the oil pressure.  He at first chalked this up to an intermittent sending unit or gage.  Later he determined the long lines of the oil system were putting too much strain on the oil pump.  Consulting with LEAF he determined that this was causing damage not only to the pump itself but potentially to the motor too.  When changing the motor mount he also replaced the oil pump.  Now there is no oil pressure problems.

IMO, the long lines were allowing low pressure bubbles to form and I'm sure this was causing cavitation in the pump.  This type of cavitation will erode the gears and walls in the pump which will eventually cause a catastrophic failure of either the pump or the motor itself if enough contamination is pumped into the bearings.

Posted (edited)

What I know of the setup is from a friend (ironically also named Paul) who had one. He has since changed to the newer style engine mount with the oil tank under the cowl.

He has an early 912UL 80hp motor. Very early. He was having wild fluctuation of the oil pressure. He at first chalked this up to an intermittent sending unit or gage. Later he determined the long lines of the oil system were putting too much strain on the oil pump. Consulting with LEAF he determined that this was causing damage not only to the pump itself but potentially to the motor too. When changing the motor mount he also replaced the oil pump. Now there is no oil pressure problems.

IMO, the long lines were allowing low pressure bubbles to form and I'm sure this was causing cavitation in the pump. This type of cavitation will erode the gears and walls in the pump which will eventually cause a catastrophic failure of either the pump or the motor itself if enough contamination is pumped into the bearings.

Thanks for the info, so far the oil pressure is solid on mine but I will look into this some more.

Edited by Paul S