Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 503 muffler heat muff

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Aircraft spruce sells a heat muff that goes around the 503 muffler. Has anyone installed this to heat the cabin?

Thanks

Vance

Posted

I have one of these that came with the Kitfox 1 I bought. The muffler is already tight to the lower cowl, so I might need to do some modifications to install it. I have in mind a way to also use it for carb heat. I’ll post an update on it, once it’s installed, and I’m up and flying. 

Posted

What engine do you have that needs carb heat?

Posted

The answer is probably that my 503 doesn’t need carb heat. I have read a few reports of carb icing on Rotax 2 strokes, so I was considering it because of that. I’ve never had carb icing on the many snowmachines I’ve ridden, but it’s usually colder, and you’re banging around a bit (at least I do), and on and off the throttle, so not much chance for it there. You’re in the same area. Have you ever had any issue with it? I figured I’d put the wrap on the muffler and get some cab heat, and it wouldn’t be too much more effort to tee in carb heat. 

Posted

Aircraft spruce sells a heat muff that goes around the 503 muffler. Has anyone installed this to heat the cabin?

Thanks

Vance

I made one for my 503, didn't work real good.

Posted

There one on my model 1KF, havent flown it when cold, but have done alot of taxin when cold and i think it works ok.  Here earlier this month when Leni flew it he had mentioned to me, " hey by the way ur heater works pretty good" but the real tests will come this winter i hope. Mine is basically a copy of the one on dads PA12.