Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WTB 912

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Guys I looking for a 80 hp 912. If anyone knows of anything I'd appreciate you dropping me a note.

EG

Posted

There's one on Barnstormers in the Experimental section for $7500 right now.

Posted (edited)

Beware of scams on ebay - dHolly and I got involved in one of these 912 "bargains" this year - looked like a way to hack your puter, or your money!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks, staying away from Ebay

I've been talking with the guy on Barnstromers.  It's a 17 yr old engine that's just come off a KF that was ground looped and had a prop strike.  No entries in the engine log since 2006.  He wont come off his asking price.  Maybe I'm wrong but just a few too many issues for that $. 

Posted (edited)

I think you are right to avoid this one - A prop strike requires that the engine be torn down and the crank checked in any engine.  With this one, the redrive may also be damaged - and other parts.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I guess I could take a chance on it and send the gearbox to Av8r3400 to fix.  Looks like he is going to be a 912 gearbox pro when he gets through sorting his out!!

EG

ps Leni did you get the part I sent you?

Posted

ummm... What part were you spose to send me?  I think I need a memory refresher here :lol:

:BC:

Posted

EG are you referring to the filler neck you sent me? Yes I did get it however I am still in the Middle East on my deployment. Hoping to be home soon and then I get to have my own mini Christmas going through the mound of stuff I have ordered over the last 7 months. I figured that engine was really old and had issues for that price. Thanks a ton again for sending that part!! Joey

Posted

oops, my bad.  I meant  Joey. 

Posted

Depending on the prop that was on the motor a prop strike may not be that bad for a 912.

It does NOT mean a full tear down like a certified motor.  It would require pulling the gear box to check it for runout and gear damage.  (Not difficult)  If the gearbox is okay, most likely the crank is too.

Where is it?  How many hours?  What kind of damage did the plane suffer?  (nose over or just 'looped with folded gear causing a nick to the tips?)  These answers will determine if the $7500 is still a good number.

If the s/n checks out as not needing any further work per the logs (through 2006), I would offer to pay for the gear box inspection at LEAF, Lockwood or CPS if he takes it off and sends it in.  If the 'box checks out, then the number is pretty good for 600 (1200 TBO) or less hours.  If not, you are only out at most a hundred bucks for the inspection.

1 person likes this