Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Header tank for the Avid

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Ed, No. It wouldn't fit in my new plastic tanks.

Posted

Hey Leni,

How big is your header tank and where do you have it located it? pics will be nice; the blue lines are not a choice for me, in somehow, my inspector don´t like it, and he demanded to replace them all...  I used to have them between the pump to the carb, and he wasn´t please with it.

Well is that is the case, I will put a plug in the AN4 then!!! no need to reinvent the wheel.....

regards

dimi3

I will get on the laptop tonight when I get off work and see if I have any pics of the tank.  I have the plastic header tank from Kitfox and it is located right behind the seat on the mixer truss work.

:BC:

Posted

Hey Leni,

How big is your header tank and where do you have it located it? pics will be nice; the blue lines are not a choice for me, in somehow, my inspector don´t like it, and he demanded to replace them all...  I used to have them between the pump to the carb, and he wasn´t please with it.

Well is that is the case, I will put a plug in the AN4 then!!! no need to reinvent the wheel.....

We all can do what we want, but I would put a vent in. If the air can't get out easy, fuel can't get in easy. I like the idea of a low fuel warning in the header tank as well (although I never had one.

Jim Chuk

'

Posted

Dimitri,

If you have the sight tubes in the wing tank, and no other holes - then you can put a "T" fitting into the upper sight tube and run your vent line to it. 

EDMO

Posted

Hey Ed;

thanks for the advice, but I think I will go by Lenis here and I will  leave that for the future wing tank if possible!!!

Mvh

Dimi3

Posted

Well, My lap top died last night so I cant post pictures of the mounting of my header tank.  I just used Adel clams on the corners of the tank at the mount holes to secure it to the truss that "cages" the mixer assembly.

I have never had a tank "unport" or get air in the system in flight.  But my header tank is see through so I can keep an eye on it and if something happens and fuel does not feed, I know I have about 15 minutes to find a place to set it down if need be.  the fuel flow meter is the first thing that will give me and indication as to a fuel restriction as I know the fuel flow for RPM while I am flying.

Posted

Hey guys!!

The tank is almost fitted, and the fuel line is routed with the transponder antenna cable with extra protections at some places.

I´m taking the time to do some sound/temp isolation to have less noise inside of the cockpit, I have a sound tester and it´s like 120 db in flight at cruise, I use ear plugs + headsets, I`m trying to minimize cockpit noise. Any of you guys have problems with noisy cockpit?

I will be adding also little compartment right behind the seat and I as said before aileron control rods will have to be disconnect it each time fold the wings. oh almost forgot I bought a flightline FL-760 from a guy who is not flying anymore, almost new for 550$ i´m very happy with size/weight and price, heard nothing but good things about this little Japanese radio, let´s see in the air how it behaves, with intercom built in.

Regards

Dimi3

post-162-0-54671000-1399733469_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-73081900-1399733479_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-20733300-1399733491_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-78850200-1399733503_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-86450600-1399733506_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-85608200-1399733516_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-50332200-1399733527_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-61857900-1399733535_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

looking good!  I would be scared to put a DB meter in mine.. Funny how everyone OUTSIDE the plane says it is very quiet and that I can sneak up on them, but that is not the case inside the plane as it is pretty loud and when I am making radio calls I get ribbed a lot about the screaming 2 stroke in the back ground.  I am sure we can put some sound barrier in the plane to quiet it down, but good sound barrier is pretty heavy, and I want to lighten mine up all I can.  For now earplugs and good gel ear seals seem to be working for me.

1 person likes this

Posted

Mine is loud and will be even louder because I removed the 1" thick black heavy insulation from the firewall that was disintegrating. Airplanes are just loud, especially fun ones!!!!! Bryce

1 person likes this

Posted

Mine is also very quiet outside, people asked me if the plane is electrical, however I would love to have a quieter cockpit, when I speak on the radio some of my friends complain about background engine noise, I`m using 3 different materials for the isolation they are light not that heavy. I will post more pics once they are fitted.

Regards

Dimi3