Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

End of year new guy

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

I just joined this site the past week looking for some information about Avid and Kitfox aircraft. I'm a commercial pilot with time in over 50 different makes and model and I'm looking for a step up for STOL performance from my Teenie Two aircraft (don't laugh until you see wht it can do)!

I found an Avid MK IV that's fairly local and it's "not for sale", at least not publically. He's asking $15,900 for it with a low time 582. But that's another post that will get up soon.

I've been interested in the Avid/Kitfox line because I actually do trailer my aircraft around the country from time to time just to fly in different areas and this would be ideal. Having grown up in Idaho and Utah I really want to do more back country flying, even though currently I'm living in the flatland (Illinois).

I have a lot of experience on the maintenance side of aviaiton as well as being a pilot. I'm a welder, fabricator and just like to build things. I've toyed with the idea of buying a partially built kit but haven't seen one for a decent price yet that was close enough to warrant going to buy.

There is a lot more information about me but I'm sure that will come out in time!

Keep up the posts, so far I'm really liking the information here, I just wish the search function would bring up what I need more often.

Kenneth

Posted (edited)

Kenneth,

welcome to the site - seems like you and I have a lot in common - well, maybe except the wild flying of Idaho and Utah - I'm just south of St. Louis, but lived in Alaska for about 10 years - AMT grad - been thru the commercial hours, but now old and retired and flying on drivers license as Private/Sport Pilot.  Got a couple of projects for sale, and building my own design like the Kitfox.

I've been on this site for about a year now and have learned a lot from the flyers / builders on here.

Where in Land of Lincoln and Obama are you located?  The shop is open afternoons if you want to visit.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hi Ed,

I'm over in Lebanon, just a bit to the north of Belleville and Scott AFB. I may have to stop by sometime. I'd like to see what you're working on. I've come to the easy conclusion that you're a 4 stroke guy. I have a Subaru engine hanging on a KR2 that is begging to be put on something much more like a STOL aircraft. The KR was bought from an estate sale and is WAY too heavy to every consider flying. The guy that built it was 86 when it was "finished". However it does have good instruments and a lot of equipment that can be used on a good project. I'm just waiting to figure out what to build, I even have a bunch of 1" 4130 tubing already. In the mean time I have a line on an Avid MK IV within about a two hour drive that I'm seriously considering if I sell my Teenie Two (1600VW). My wife is a pilot as well and I just want something we can both fly, plus she needs a tailwheel endorsement and I'm a CFI as well.

Happy New Year all!

Kenneth

Posted

Kenneth,

Thanks for the reply - agree, the Kr2 should have a lighter engine - should be a fun plane with the right engine, but not STOL like the Avids/Foxes.

I'm at Arnold.  314-753-8587 afternoons or evenings.

I used to belong to EAA 32 at St. Charles - Planning on attending meeting of EAA 1424 at Potosi on the 12th.  One of my friends has a Hummel H5 that he flies down there.

Hope you plan on coming when the weather is warmer.

EDMO

Posted

Welcome Kenneth,

I'm in Jacksonville, about 70 miles NE of St. Louis.  I have an Avid Model C STOL, currently needing some work - reskin and weld up a new left wing strut that has some damage.  But that will be a spring project - the Hangar isn't heated, and the -1 high forecast for Monday isn't something I care for much.

I'm also looking for a set of Amphib floats for it, since I just got my seaplane rating.  If you're up this way, give me a buzz if you want to have a look.

Mark

Posted

Mark,

Thanks for the invitation. I know where Jacksonville is. I did my first long cross country solo there from Alton back in 2004 when I was working on my ratings. We just got dumped on here with snow and it's just blowing sideways now. I don't plane to leave the house this week unless I have to! I even rescheduled a flying interview for later this month.

Kenneth