Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 Thermostat

9 posts in this topic

Posted

One of the few parts I'm missing to complete my Mdl C FWF project is a thermostat for the Gray Head. I'm reeling from the price tag of $130 + shipping that Lockwood and CPS charges. Is there an alternative? I cannot imagine that these thermostats cost this much unless because I'm looking at "aircraft" parts instead of for a sled.

Posted

Go to a boat shop or NAPA and get a Sierra # 18-3558.Thats what I put in mine and works great.Some guys drill a small bypass hole in it but I didn't.They cost around 15 bucks.Randy

Posted

Captial idea

Go to a boat shop or NAPA and get a Sierra # 18-3558.Thats what I put in mine and works great.Some guys drill a small bypass hole in it but I didn't.They cost around 15 bucks.Randy

Capital idea. I'll check today. I see it's available on Amazon as well. How about the rubber seal? LIkely will have to source that from Rotax.

What's the best material these days to run coolant to/from the belly mounted radiator? Someone suggested using PEX the other day.

Posted

I used the same thermostat and had to buy the Rotax gasket for something like $30 (grrrr).

I did drill the little hole and align it at the top during installation to help purge out air when filling the system with coolant.

Posted

I used the same thermostat and had to buy the Rotax gasket for something like $30 (grrrr).

I did drill the little hole and align it at the top during installation to help purge out air when filling the system with coolant.

Thankyou. I need that dang seal too. I'd like to try to use an 0-ring out of the parts bin if I could find one that'd fit.

Posted

If you use an O ring, I think you will need two, one on each side of the thermostat.  On the Rotax seal, it goes over the outside of the thermostat and seals both side of it.   I'm not sure an O ring would stay in place either, but maybe??  Jim Chuk

Posted

Not owning an Avid/Fox I'm not sure what the gasket/seal looks like. But reading through this thread and realizing that there is an automotive thermostat that fits make me think of something else.

If it's a typical automotive size, the Chevrolet 4.3 from the early 90's had a seal around the circumference of the thermostat.

Has anyone tried that? They are very inexpensive and I don't see why it shouldn't stretch a tad if you needed to. Plus for a couple bucks at the local autoparts store you'd have what you need.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I'm just trying to help.

Posted

Just guessing from memory, but the thermostat is only about 1 1/4" in diameter.  Jim Chuk

Posted

grab some gasket material and make your own.  Napa has tons of various thicknesses.  If I remember right, the gasket is about 1/8" thick overall, so if they have some 1/16" thick material you can make a ring on each side and be good to go.

:BC: