Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking to purchase this and have questions.

31 posts in this topic

Posted

I have the Arctic Sparrow modification in my 503 carbs.  I don't have to change jets with the seasons, just richen or lean a turn or two once in a while.  I sent my carbs to Mike Jocaber to do the modification on them and talked with him about it a bit.  He said the main advantage to them is when the strong inversion sets in up in Alaska in the winter it can easily be 30 degrees warmer a couple 100 feet up in the air than it is on the ground.  Without an inflight mixture adjustment the two strokes were too lean to take off if jetted for the higher air temps above.

I love my sparrow needles but will definitely go to the hackman when they wear out.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good information, too bad that the artic sparrow isn't available anymore. Sounds like it would be the way to go.

Posted

Tom, it goes both ways.  I have taken off from the lake and it was -10 out, then drop down into the river bed and it was -35.  EGTS go through the roof if you cant richen it up.  The in flight has saved me more than once.  I run 160s in the summer and 170 in the winter once temps drop below 20 degrees.  Between the IFA prop and the in flight mixture, its the cats ass as I can keep the EGTS right where I want them, and still have great power on take off and cruise settings.

:BC:

Posted

Randy.

Not a big issue that you sold your gear already, but just curious what did you end up getting for it. PM me if you don't want to post that information up. I'd just like to know what I should be looking to spend on it if I get serious about that.

Hi Kenneth,

It is spendy stuff.  I think I got $800 or $900 for the complete gear; don't remember exactly what we settled on now.  The original builder said he paid $1500 for just the nose gear from Vans.

Posted

I have a old Kitfox catalog, and they wanted about $1500 just for the nose gear - no mains with it.

Mine is made from a scrapped $100 mountain bike frame from Walmart.   Inovate - design - or spend $$$.

EDMO

Posted

Ed, it's funny you should say that about a cheap bike frame. After seeing the pictures of one that was my first though. I might even have the bike around here with the right streamlined 4130 tubing to make one out of. Oh, not sure I told you, I build custom bicycles too.