Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Conversion from Bat wing to sytraight trailing edge

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Avideers:

After putting on 4200 hours on my madel B STOL with the bat wing design I have decided to recover my wings.

The fabric has been on the Avid since its inception in 1988. I did not build it.

After removing the fabris I noticed the great workmanship the Craig Johnson put into it.

A friend who is very good at working with fabiric airplanes is doing the work and is using the Stewart System

I always wondered why my fabric would be so loose in colder weather and when I took off the fabric I could see why. The trailing edge wire had gotten loose over the yeras.

We are going to put aluminum trailing edges on to replace the wire.

It is amazing how much wing surface this change will add.

I am anxious to see if there is any positive performance changes.

I'll let this forum know one way or the other.

John M

Posted

John,

26 years and 4200 hours on the fabric is a success story in itself - I would imagine the Kitfox type aluminum trailing edge would make a stiffer planform, and it should make a small performance change.  Waiting to see if that is for better or worse.

EDMO 

Posted

4200 hours in an Avid! That's great! Looking forward to seeing what the improvement is like for you after it's finished up again.

Posted

John,

When I rebuild the basket case Avid I bought, the first thing I noticed was the hole in the trailing edge the wire goes through was getting soft and enlarged quite a bit.  I put he aluminum trailing edge on and couldn't be happier!  I got the trailing edge from airdale and it was cut into 2' sections when I got it so Steve could ship it cheaper.. I ordered the same trailing edge from ACSpruce for less money and got it in 8' lengths so I could do it in 2 pieces per side instead of cobbling it all together.

:BC:

1 person likes this