Mark V for sale

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Folks,

John Larson is selling his Pursang aka Avid Mk V.

$19,500.

There's not much more to say, I wish I had the cash lying around, I would jump on it!  Please, someone cool buy it.  And then let me fly it!

I'd be happy to put you in touch with him.

Mark

post-697-0-68920400-1389410036_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chewie

Posted

Is there more information about this plane somewhere? I'm in the market right now! This would be awesome.

Posted

Under files and forms.  Or search this site for "pursang".

Mk IV fell through?

Posted

No the Mark IV didn't fall through yet, but I also haven't had the chance to get my schedule to coincide with the owner to go take a look at it. Also if there is a MK V available I'd be all over a bit better aircraft for a few thousand more $$$$'s. I like to keep my options open. I also don't think that the Mark IV is going anywhere because the owner hasn't posted it up for sale. He contacted me from an ad I have out there looking for one.

Thanks for the info, now to go read about the Pursang.

If you would PM me with information to contact the owner.

Posted

I would jump on this one if I was in the market!  I am sure it wont last too long so if your serious about getting into one, I would be calling John ASAP!

:BC:

Posted

How many members are on this list that would be interested?  Divide $19,500 by that number... you see where I'm going with this? :)

Posted

:lol:  an AFF club plane.... hmmm..

Posted

Does anyone have information to contact John? I don't see how to contact him here. Seriously interested!

Thanks!

Posted

Leni / Suberavid,

Did David Goode ever sell #1 Airdale - Someone said he never flew it and moved South???

EDMO

Posted

Nope, its still sitting in his hangar out in N. Kenai.  I don't think it ever flew.  Beautiful plane though.. I talked to his son a couple weeks ago and he said Dave was down south now.  Last I saw he wanted 35k for it.

Posted

I think it was the swim in the lake and nearly losing his wife - and life!

ED

Posted

I talked to John today and got more information on the plane. I'm waiting on pictures and a few more answers to questions I have about it but looks fairly promising.

Posted

The plane had a significant amount of next-level engineering, I really like the cabin structural improvements and foot wells. For better or worse, the new owner will definitely have a one-off plane with an interesting heritage. Did John mention why he decided to sell?

Posted (edited)

He doesn't feel comfortable anymore being PIC. Feeling old perhaps.

Yet another reason I want to start building NOW and not when I'm half dead!

Oh - you're right about it being a one-off.  I asked John if he were to build another one, how he would go about it.  He said he couldn't - Brett McKinney has the jigs and tooling, and John  doesn't have plans.

Edited by Chewie

Posted

Just want to say that Dean Wilson, John Larson and Steve Winder are all key players in the Avid+ that I have.  Many thanks to them!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hopefully I will see John soon, if I do I'll definitely tell his thanks for you Randy.

Posted

I sent off a purchase agree to John tonight via email. Hopefully that will come back soon....it's getting closer to being "home".

As you all probably have noticed by now, I'm more than willing to share what I know. If it all works out well with this plane I'm more than willing to share any information about it that I can. Especially for those of you that are building yours and have the opportunity to make a few "little" changes. :shitfan:

I'll keep you all posted. It will be at least the second week in February before I can pick it up though as I have a local commitment until then that doesn't allow me enough time to go fly it back. Plus I might have to do a little painting to it in Utah before heading cross country in it! Anyone have any good paint scheme ideas? I just don't like the brown and want to have it a little more customized. But I'm probably WAY ahead of myself already.

Posted

Congrats!  your getting a sweet plane, hopeit all works out well.

Posted

Thanks Leni! So far everything is going smoothly. I just hope it's in as good a condition as it seems. I don't mind minor work to fix cosmetics but I don't want to have to get there and find out I can't fly it half way across the country. Luckily I have family in Utah so if it comes to it I can fly it there and do any work to it that it might need before a long journey. I don't foresee any problems though. I'm getting new tires on it and I will probably take some VG's that I'm making for it and try to experiment with them on the underside of the wing on the trip home for cruise speed. Hopefully that will help a little.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Kenneth, are you officially the new owner now?

Posted

Randy,

Not yet, but we have a purchase agreement that John has signed and sent to me. He is awaiting our signature on it and a check.

I plan to pick it up the second week of February, weather permitting of course.

I will be flying it to Ogden Utah, putting it in a hangar while I move a 150/150 tail wheel from Billings Montana to Cincinnati Ohio. Then commercial airline back to Salt Lake to pick up the Avid and bring it to St. Louis, after a couple days hanging in Utah.

If the weather permits I might just spruce up the paint a little before bringing it back out this way. Not a fan of Brown and from what I can tell of the paint it couldn't hurt to touch it up a little.

I plan to do some updating to a few things too, like installing a new transponder out there before having to fly under the mode C veil here in St. Louis. Not to mention if I want to pick up flight following across the country it would be helpful.

I'll keep everyone updated on this as I know more.

post-745-0-18953700-1390601459_thumb.jpg

Posted

Kenneth,

That's great, almost a congrats on the new ownership then. 

That's a good looking 150 TD.  Everyone I have talked to about them says they are a handful on ground handling.  What is your experience in that respect and let us know how they compare to the Pursang.

Posted

Randy,

That 150 is owned by a friend of mine. That is in the paint booth after fresh paint two months ago. He does a crazy job on every plane he has owned, it almost always goes through paint, interior and avionics, then new engine, basically they are brand new when he's done with them. He seems to have a hard time keeping them though, about a year is as long as I've seen him keep a plane. Not sure if he gets bored or just wants a new toy. He sells them and starts over. This one I picked up as a ratty nose dragger in New York for him just over a year ago. It's undergone a HUGE change....see picture.

My experience with the tail dragger 150 is limited but I've flown two cross country trips in two different 1959 models. Both were VERY well done. I actually saw no bad habits at all and thought they were one of the easiest tail draggers I've ever flown. No bad habits at all, and on several landings I had some decent crosswind to contend with. With the 8.50x6" tires on this one it landed like a dream, so very smooth, but got to love that bounce as you taxi with a tire that isn't quite round! The last landing I did with this one was at night and I decided to go for a full wheel landing in the dark...still smooth as glass! I have time in Waco aircraft and they are a complete handful, especially since IMHO they don't have near enough rudder surface and run out of rudder with even a 15 knot crosswind, plus they feel very short coupled and like to dart a little on landing due to the way the gear and shock absorption works (doesn't work sometimes).

Once I fly the Pursang I will definitely report on it's characteristics. I'll be posting up more about plans for it as I do this long cross country with it in the next few weeks. I plan to make changes along the route, but that's a totally different thread!

post-745-0-78937300-1390799815_thumb.jpg

Posted

Well the deposit/down payment check is in the mail to John today. One step closer to brining the Pursang home to a new owner!

Now lets hope that the weather cooperates in February to fly it over 1500 miles!

Posted

Congratulations, Ken!

We are all waiting on the pilot report and lots of video/photos of everything!

1 person likes this