Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid B or C kit for sale

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

In my searching for an Avid to purchase I found a local gentleman that has an Avid B or C model that has been hanging in his woodshop for around 15 years. He said he bought it back in the 80's, doesn't even remember which model it it for sure. He started the kit and completed the wings, then hung them up. The kit is on it's gear but that's about where it stopped. He has a brand new engine in a box that was never started as well. He thought it was 65 HP but that's about all he remembers. I'm guessing it's a grey head 582, but there is a slight chance it is a 532 based on my research.

He is looking to see what all he has since he moved once after starting the project.

The good news is, he has floats that might go with it too, but they need a little work. Seems they were left outside and got filled with water, then frozen. It broke up the sides.

I haven't gotten him to nail down a price yet but don't think it will be very high. I think I can get it for $6,000 or less, but he doesn't want to talk numbers until he finds everything he has.

I do remember him saying it has the STOL wings because his intent was to fly it off his own field next to the house. He's 60 now and realizing he won't ever get around to finishing it up.

Is there anyone out there that wants a relatively complete kit? Maybe to do some midification on and customize? I was seriously thinking about buying it just to save it from the rafters. It's in a heated shop and he does have the fabric as well.

If anyone has any interested please let me know and I'll keep bugging him. Any information on what you all think it's worth would be helpful too.

Edited by lostman

Posted

Kenneth, like we've discussed over the PM, I'd be curious about this for sure.  Would probably sell my paramotor for about the same $!

Posted (edited)

I would even be happy to help someone by fixing up the floats. I don't know if he has any hardware or legs for the floats though. This is about all the information I have for right now. If you're interested please PM me and let me know or post up. If someone gets somewhat serious about it, I'll pressure the owner a little.

I need to get back over to his place for some more wood anyway. He has his own sawmill and I'm building some cabinets for the kitchen in my house.

Also don't quote me on the price of this kit, as I really don't know what he's thinking yet. I'll try to find out more information and pass it on.

Edited by lostman

Posted

Does anyone have any information about what this kit might be worth? I'm still seriously thinking about it. I don't want to buy a kit that isn't worth what I'm paying for it. I realize that when this was one purchased back in 1988 (I think) it was nearly $13,000 for the kit, plus the owner took a lot of the options so he's going to be taking a hit on what he paid. I just want to know what it's current market value might be?

It would be great for my brother who is an A&P or to even have as a project plane, since I'm always looking for my next project?

Posted

5-6k is all I would pay for a kit.. it sucks for the seller, but for what you can buy one flying for, its a stretch to get much more than that out of it.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Leni, that's what I need to know.

Posted

The good news is a fair amount of labor building wings has already been completed. The bad news is they been hanging around for 20+ years just waiting to be damaged. If there any scratches on the aluminum spars they could lead to stress risers and be a significant safety issue. The Avid manual says minor scratchs can be sanded and polished way, however, any scratch deep enough to catch a fingernail within 18" of the lift strut or root end attachment points renders the spar unusable. Look them over close, a new wing kit would set you back more than the whole package. And that's assuming you can get ahold of Airdale and they have what you need, or you luck out and find an undamaged, unneeded set somewhere close to avoid the expense of shipping or a road trip to pickup.

1 person likes this

Posted

That is about the same age as my Avid.  The guys that built it bought the kit in 1988 or 1989 - finished it in 1991.  Mine has a grey head 582.  They told me they paid $12,000 for the kit.  I might be interested in the floats if they aren't damaged too bad, particularly if he does have the mounting hardware.  I can fix fiberglass (also building a fiberglass airplane), so that part doesn't worry me too much.  If you can find out the kit serial number, you should be able to find the model mostly.  The serial number to model mapping gets fuzzy during the transition periods.  Mine is a 'C', but they bought the dual radiator w/upgraded cowl option that later became standard on the MkIV.  It also now has the round rudder.  They ground looped it, and had to rebuild the tail, so bought the round rudder tail a that time.

Mark