Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ACTUAL CG HEIGHT?

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever seen calculations of the ACTUAL CG and HEIGHT of it in a typical Avid / Fox?

We all think of the CG as being a spot in the wing for Weight and Balance calculations, but that is not the actual CG for other calculations. 

Think not only about the fuel and the wings and fuselage, but the weight of the engine, IP, landing gear, and your butt, being located much lower than the top of the wing.  

The weight of those huge tires you added could be an asset in lowering the CG too.

I am sure that Dean Wilson knew where it would be, and other designers too, but I have never seen it published.  This measurement is used to figure the critical turnover point, but will vary some with each plane.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed,

Just curious is this point used for calculating where the gear is placed so as to keep it from flipping in a hard breaking three point stance as well? That makes sense to me but I'm not an engineer either.

Posted (edited)

Yes, it has everything to do with gear location, and to make sure you can get the tail up, and to keep the nose dragger off of the tail, as well as determining the tendency to groundloop or noseover in both cases.

Everything important......

I think I can calculate it, but it will take some time and effort.

Someone should have it for a standard configuration Avid / Fox.

ED

I guess you could say that there is a flight CG, and a ground-operation CG - both are really the same, and important for designers.

I am not an engineer either - just a scratch builder - don't have the luxury of someone else engineering.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri