Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox wheel hubs on ebay

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  I know some were looking for a set of Kitfox hubs so they could go to 8"rims on their Avids recently.  I just ran across these on ebay this morning.  Auction has 6 days to go, so they just went up recently.  Opening bid is $30.  Brake discs and brake cylinders are there as well.  Ebay item # is 141163152567.  They are listed as Matco hubs if I remember right, and are in the experimental aircraft section of ebay motors.  Probably you will find them if you search for Matco in ebay motors if I got the item # wrong.   Jim Chuk

post-329-0-14756900-1389804032_thumb.jpg

Posted

Wouldn't mind having those rotors mine are the solid ones. I have the drawing on how to lighten them but that's a ton of work for 1/2 lb.

Posted (edited)

Someone drilled a jillion holes in the rotors I have - I can see doing this on some racing car rotors to dissipate heat, but only a brake engineer could convince me to do it on light airplane rotors - I ran this thru my thick brain a dozen times and finally gave up on trying to figure out if you lose friction area or gain clamping pressure or wearing out pads faster - don't think you drag them enough to warp with heat :huh:   - well, maybe not quite a jillion -

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks for the post! Going to go check them out.

Posted

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141163152567?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D141163152567%26_rdc%3D1

Link to the auction.

Me thinks it was miss labeled.  The only think from matco there is the breaks.  The rest was souced from Kitfox and used with the Douglas ATV wheels, NOT the matco wheels.  These hubs dont work, and are not needed if your running matco wheels.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Leni,

I had a set of Matco W-62, three-piece wheels once, and they were clearly marked.   Is there a Matco wheel that looks like the Douglas, and how do you tell them apart?  No separate hubs?  I have a set of Douglas? now, I think, with my KF1 - my FF has Grove wheels/brakes.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I have the matco wheels on mine.  They come as a 2 piece but I added a couple of 1" wide spacers in each one for my big tires.  I ahve not seen a matco that looked like the douglas.  The matco has the bearings built into the wheels and does not require the hub that is shown on ebay.

Posted

Hi Leni,  didn't I send you a set of Kitfox hubs a few years ago, or did your brother get them?  Jim Chuk 

Posted

I think you may have sent those to Bob.  I dont recall getting any hubs from you before and I ended up getting a set from Bob when I put the kingfox tires on my bird.

Posted

Len I,

What size tires are you running - are your Matcos 6 inch?

EDMO

Posted

Anyone know if the axle that is missing from the kit is available? Seems like it not being a complete kit might make it unusable other than for parts.

Posted

I just got a chunk of .750"X .250" 4130 from the local supplier and had the local machinist turn the threads in the end for mine.  I had to make longer axles when I went to the big tires.

Ed,  I had 26" blimp tires on mine originally, but they are WAY heavy.  I have 30" airstreaks for it now that are about 1/2 the weight of the blimp tire.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Leni,

What is the size for a 30" airstreak - My 8.50 x 6 airstreaks are not that big, but they are heavy!

Lostman,

That axle looks like a Grove, and is made to fit the Spring Gear, and the holes are different than the original  Kitfox tubing gear - Most of the kits just had a plain tube for the axle, but I have one set with a solid bar.

Grove makes axles in several different bolt patterns.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

You're right Ed, the axel is for a grove gear.  I think they are available from Grove for about $75 each.  When I put Kitfox hubs on my first MK IV, (stock tube gear) I had to take out the Avid 3/4" diameter axels, and put in slightly longer 3/4" ones.  Jim Chuk

PS  Leni,  there was some question about whether you or your brother John was going to use  them, but I'm sure I sent them to you.  It might have been 5 or 6 years ago now. 

Posted

I see that the ebay Kitfox hubs sold for $202.  Not cheap, but probably fair both ways I suppose.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Hmmm, I must be loosing my mind Jim, I don't recall getting them.. John already had a set on his plane. They must have been for me, but I thought I got them from Bob.. Damnit I hate getting old :lol:

Posted

Your not getting that old Leni, but memory, not that's something else again ..

I have bought 2 different sets of wheel/hubs/breaks but from WHO ???

That's also a memory problem.

But you did get a set from me, proving your not that old.

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe Leni has an extra set and he just forgot where he put them :wasntme: .  It's kind of fun when you can hide your own easter eggs. 

2 people like this