Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Superflite Instruction Manual Mistake!!!

9 posts in this topic

Posted

To All Beware!

I bought a partially built avid Magnum that already had the fuselage and control surfaces covered with Superflite. So I put a lot of work into the wings to get them ready for covering. I bought Superflite's instruction manual and DVD and read and watched them several times. I called Superflite and asked some final questions and asked them for any advice. They told me to start on something small, but I only had a wing to start on.

The manual, on page 5.3, says to mix 2 parts U-500 (Glue) and 1 part MEK. The DVD shows the graphic from the book with 2 parts U-500 and 1 part MEK, HOWEVER the narrator says "2 parts MEK to 1 part U-500" THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE!

I figured the narrator misspoke and I was wrong! It is misprinted in the book and in the graphic on the DVD.

Of course I figured this out after covering my wing with the wrong mixture. It resulted in me covering the top of my wing with fabric only to find some unsightly and uncorrectable glue under the fabric.

So, I had to undo all of my fabric and glue work. I had to use MEK to scrub all of the glue off of my wing. It took two days and I have to re-paint some of the wing.

Here is the most outrageous part...I'm still steaming over this!

I searched the internet to see if I was the first to discover this. On another forum for Rans and super cubs I found that this mistake has been in the manual since at least 2009! Many people have done the same thing I did.

I called Superflite and they directed me to a friendly fella named Randy, their technical help. I told him the story and he had heard it before, he asked me if I had the new manual and I said yes. He said that he was sorry, and had no control over what the main office does, but he was surprised they had reprinted the same, known, mistake!

I called the main office and told them about the mistake and they basically said "oh yah, that is wrong..." There was no offer to make things right by reimbursing me for the glue or fabric.

To be fair, I didn't push reimbursement, I intend to write them a letter. I just wanted to move on!

Why don't they add a piece of paper to their book with changes? Or have a warning on their website? Or for heaven's sake, tell me when I call and ask for first time advice?

So for anyone reading this...you should use a mixture of "2 parts MEK to 1 part U-500". Randy said that mix is a ball park starting point, but you don't want the glue to be too thick, so add more MEK the longer you work with it because the MEK is evaporating. If you make my mistake, the glue will be too thick and you will have to remove it...not fun!

I'm sure they have a good product, but I'm having a rough start!

Thanks,

Ron

post-545-0-73340600-1389844745_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-57404800-1389844798_thumb.jpg

Posted

Stewarts glue is much, much, more user friendly, IMO.

EDMO

Posted

Ed,

You are right, I have friends that have used the Stewart system and love it, plus it doesn't have those nasty chemicals!

I didn't want to cross systems since my fuse and controls were already covered with Superflite.

Next time it is Stewart all the way!

Posted

That is unbelievable Ron and, YES, they are negligent and at risk for product liability for knowingly failing to correct their product instructions. Problem is, even though you've been 'damaged', the level does not rise to the point of forcing recourse economically... and they know it.

Sooo, it would seem to me, their failing to take corrective action on such an important item as their own installation instructions for an aviation product that is clearly critical to safe flight says a LOT about the company or people running it. This has lost them my product consideration and, if I were in your shoes, any product endorsement forever. Good luck, I hope they reimburse you for the material costs at the very least which is simply good customer service, and fix their product instructions. Thanks for posting.

P.S. - I LOVE the look of those Finch tips on the Magnum wing!

Posted (edited)

Doug,

One of our members said those Magnum Finch tips were real eye-pokers!

I had read the theory of those tips being angled up a little to shed vortexes better, but decided not to make them after reading his comments.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Doug,

Thanks for the words...I was really angry, but I'm over it. I just don't want others to make the same mistake!

Here is a question for you...they proudly display an FAA stamp on the front cover, does that mean that the FAA approved the process, or the final product? If it is the process how could they allow incorrect instructions? Since when does the FAA not regulate every aspect of maintenance? You could argue that because we are Experimental it does not apply, but Superflight is used on certified aircraft too.

Finch tips...they are very sharp! They have grabbed my shirt more than once! Ed, you are right, they could be downright dangerous at eye level, that is an argument for a taller gear :) I guess you could round off the tip if you wanted?

They are going to look good though.

Posted (edited)

Ron,

I was wondering how you can fold the wings with the Finch tips sticking out - Do they have to overlap?

I think I like removable tips better - guess you could make Finch removable tips.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It is a tight fit under each other Ed.

post-545-0-37135900-1390268855_thumb.jpg

Posted

I see that Ron.  And you still don't have the trailing edges on yet.  You may need a pad between them if you trailer.

I laughed at my Mag manual - the 2 photos showing trailing edges show the earlier tips slanted toward the front, but the drawings show the Finch tips.

EDMO