Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wanted: transponder

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone have a transponder that they could let go of? I'm looking at purchasing an aircraft but I live under the dang mode-C veil of the local class Bravo ring and will have to install one to be legal.

Obviously I would prefer something small and inexpensive, I would say cheap, but I don't want junk either! ;)

Posted

legal? :rolleyes:

Posted

Evidently, he is not in Alaska!

EDMO

Posted

yeah, I know, the stupid legal vs. safe debate has just been opened up. However since I'm a professional pilot, my career hinged on being legal and not being violated!

I fly the Teenie all the around the area without a transponder but that's because I have no electrical system and it was certificated in 1975 that way and grandfathered in like all antique aircraft that didn't have an electrical system. Wish I could claim the same for a new homebuilt...oh well, that's the price to pay I guess.

Posted

A 121.5 will get you legal even if they are no longer monitored.  The are very cheap for that reason. 

Posted

Randy, I'm talking about a transponder, not ELT. The plane does have an ELT.

Posted

Duh, sorry about that.  What's a transponder thingy?  I try to stay out of those places up here.

Posted

Randy, do you even have anywhere near you that you'd need one for? I got thinking about it, it just made me laugh! Can't say that I haven't posted something before and then gone back and looked and it thinking, "what the hell was I thinking!"

Posted

Randy, I was flying into ENA the other day in my brothers pacer and the tower was hassling me cause I didnt have a transponder.. I was like .. :wth: I can fly into Lake hood, or Merril and not need one, but Kenai suddenly thinks they are ANC and wants to play with the big boys?  Must be something new cause they didnt ask me about it when I flew the 180 out of there this fall.

:BC:

Posted

I get that question from towers that have radar capability all the time. I just respond, "negative transponder". I've never had them question it again.

1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth, That is how I responded... and tower asked why not.. I told them it was not required to the best of my knowledge.. towers response.. would appreciate it if you had one anyways.. I went radio silent other than to confirm cleared to land... Had the feller not been douchebaggy with his line of questioning I would not have responded quite the way I did.  At any rate, I didnt get requested to go see the guys in the tower when I got tied down so I laughed it off.

Posted

"We'd appreciate it anyways"???? really? I don't even know how to respond to that. Several of my aviation related college courses were specifically about equipment, ATC requirements etc. Not one time did I ever hear or read of a tower that can request you to have equipment just because they feel like it. I stand by your side when calling the guy a douchebag!

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,

Just for kicks I went to look up ENA on the chart just to make sure. You are completely correct that you don't have to have a transponder to go into Kenai. It is a Class D airport. Most of them don't even have the capability to see you since they don't have radar capability anyhow, some do, but it's not common, at least down here in the lower 48.

Just thought you might want to know you were well within your rights to not have one. I'm still perplexed by the audacity of the controller to tell you, you should have one though.

Through my career I've known quite a few tower operators, most are good guys, some are old fuddy duddys, but I do realize most of them aren't pilots and really have no idea what it's like to be on the other side of the microphone. I've had some question why I didn't get back to them instantly when I was in a critical phase of flight. I always felt like just telling them I still have to fly the airplane. Further than that in my mind is when they think they "control" me as a pilot. Remember folks, even the all mighty FAA has told us all to Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, and in that order!

Posted

I think that when they got the radar feed in the tower it has made them lazy.. It is way easier to look at the screen and see where I am in relationship to where I say I am when I call in... So The controller is trying to push the guys that fly in and out of the airport a lot to get the transponder so he wont have to grab the binocs. and look out the window to find me when I call in at XX position. I think I am going to stop turning on the wig wag landing light too so it makes it even harder for him to find me.  :lol:  FWIW, there is only one controller out of the 3 or 4 that work there that EVER asks about transponder.  I will see if the one I gave my brother to put in his pacer is still around.. I know he never installed it.  I pulled it out of my Avid when I was rebuilding it trying to lighten that pig up!

1 person likes this

Posted

Just an update on this thread. I no longer need the transponder. I took it out of my KR2. It's basically just a parts plane now anyway. I bought it to part out even though with a little work it probably could be flown. I got a good enough deal on it that I felt it was worth the gamble. I have a good engine and redrive (Soob EA-81) matco wheels, brakes, tires, master cylinders, a full avionics and instrument panel, wing tip lights, and much more. The radio, transponder and brakes new (nothing has been used, it's all new stuff) were worth almost what I gave for the plane.

Posted

All that, a set of wings built, and my fuselage, and you should have a great Jumbo Avid airplane! 

EDMO

2 people like this

Posted

I don't have a transponder in my Kitfox, been keeping one lazy eye out for something used on the cheaper side. New is good, what are you offering... include tray, harness, altitude encoder... price?

Posted (edited)

Doug,  I don't think Kenneth was wanting to sell his - he had been looking for one for the Pursang.

I have one that I will never use - forget what brand - and donno if it even works - tried to have it tested once, and that fell flat - wonder where to go for testing and how much it might cost.

Thought about putting it on ebay for cheap bids and see what happens?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Doug, Ed is correct. This ad was posted as a wanted ad to start with. I just ended up having one I used instead of having to buy one. Good luck with your search. If I run across one I'll let you know. Any idea what you're looking for?

Posted

Ah, my mistake. I somehow thought you might have had an extra. I'm a bit leary of fleaBay though, I know some folks who received bad transponders over the years.