Airventure 2014

122 posts in this topic

Posted

Vladez at Oshkosh!

Who needs a better reason to come to the Mecca of Aviation?  A STOL competition!

Yaaaaaa!

Posted

Larry I put my vacation in the books today. I will start looking for plane tickets soon. Assuming Milwaukee??

Posted

If you can do it, try for CWA (Central Wisconsin - Wausau) or Green Bay (GRB).

It will probably require a connection from ORD, MSP or DET.  (If you're not afraid of planes with propellers on them…)

Posted (edited)

Joey- try Madison and Appleton from ORD too. At least, that's been my experience from the east coast. Which ever, don't wait for the last minute, it's one hopping busy week and seats fill quick.

Edited by dholly

Posted

How many people here are planning to fly in and camp onsite? My wife and I will be planning to make it this year if we are able to buy a plane shortly (in the works). It would be nice to meet some of this group in person and have people to hang out with during the event.

This competition would be great to see! I've always wanted to go see it in Valdez.

Posted

We can start the roll call-- I will be there all week, Saturday through the following Sunday. I will be camping across the street from the ultralight red barn with my EAA chapter. My wife and I both volunteer at the ultralight area.

With a little luck, Joey(C5Engineer) will be joining me.

Posted

I can't completely commit yet, but I will as soon as I have a plane to fly up there! I supposed I could fly the Teenie up but I'd have to send myself a package with my camping gear, or go without changing clothes that week, which I'm pretty sure people wouldn't like! :wacko:

Posted (edited)

I have my toy hauler camper and truck coming over if you need some "ground support".

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

For once I'd really like to go this year.  No idea what to do for flights... 2-1/2 hr drive from O-Hare, I guess that's an option too.

Posted

Maybe someone with a plane needs to go around collecting all our fellow Avid people when they fly out commercially! :D

Posted

My wife and I will be camping across the treeline from Larry. We will arrive Saturday and leave the next Sunday.

1 person likes this

Posted

I will be there for sure.  I usually drive but this time I am debating flying in for the real experience.  It will come down to weather.  Where do y'all fly into at OSH, the ultralight area?  

Posted

Since the trees are getting taller, I've flown into the main field and parked at the UL parking. If they are landing to the NW the ultralight field is doable, but landing to the SE is downhill over some tall trees, a little too exciting for me.

Posted

My wife and I are now planning on attending Oshkosh this year. Looks like I should be able to have Pursang there and looking pretty good for the event. Not sure when we will be coming in yet, but probably Thursday through Saturday at a minimum. For those that have been, is there a way to get camping where you want to be, i.e. with the group, or is it just luck of the draw when you show up? Any tips would be helpful. We plan to camp for the time we're there. Looking forward to meeting everyone as well! I'm one lucky guy to have a wife into planes as much as I am.

Posted

You can camp where ever and with whom ever you want, but you will get parked as you arrive.

They usually won't allow anyone to save a spot for their buddy coming the next day or what not.

We can all strategize later on a way to try and park close...

Posted

Larry I need to get my tickets booked. Which airport should I fly into?

Posted

Larry I need to get my tickets booked. Which airport should I fly into?

My brother has been back and fourth, to and from SanFran numerous times and he always goes ATW>MSP>SanFran (don't recall ID) ATW is about 20 minutes to the north of Oshkosh.

I'll get there at least 2 days, as per normal. Right foot has been bothering me for some time now and EAA 2013 was a most painful Airventure. Have to take it a day at a time this year.

Dale

Posted

My ginormous new 5th wheel, truck and I will be there most of the week this year, unless a client changes my plans.....

Mark

Posted

Where you gonna park it?

Posted

Somewhere in Camp Scholler.  I'll try to get an electric/water site since the wife may come. Otherwise anywhere in the 24hr generator sites work - then I'll have an excuse to get the 2nd Honda 3000 and use the parallel kit I already have :-) . The old camper I only needed one .  Every other year I've gotten there on Wednesday, and had to park south of the ultralight approach lane in the 'overflow' camping area near the dump station.   I actually kind of like it over there - quiet, and you can spread out a little more, but they don't let you camp over there until everything is full.

This new one really isn't camping, which is good, since I'm not a camping fan.  I always said it'd be fine if the room service wasn't so slow!  :-)

Mark

Posted

Yep, I would imagine any elec/h2o sites are looong gone. I get a laugh out of what constitutes "camping" for some at AirVenture, many rigs look like they cost several times what my house is worth. My dear wife echoes your camping sentiment and always says her best camping experience was at the Acapulco Plaza during our honeymoon. Guess its been all downhill since. We had a pop up camper when the kids were young but a couple trips convinced Momma she preferred hotel style amenities. No prob, I used the camper for the Grand Prix race weekend at Watkins Glen for many years before trading it for a bass boat! Any coincidence she never much cared for fishing either? I ain't saying... ;-)

2 people like this

Posted

I guess we "rough it" by comparison.  No electricity or water hookups.

post-36-0-76265500-1394560207_thumb.jpg

Posted

The electric/water sites aren't gone yet - they don't open them for reservations until 30 days before Airventure.  I haven't tried before - with the old camper, and just my son and I, the generator and the water tank were plenty.  If the wife goes, then the generator would probably be ok, but the water tank would be a little small.  But hey, at least I don't bring golf carts.  Although, last year i got 2 large skateboard type things with a 2 cycle gas motor.  Actually works well for Oshkosh, they are big enough I could strap a milk crate on the back to carry stuff, but small enough I can park them with the bicycles.  My daughter got me license plates for them - ER 1 and ER 2......  She has such confidence in me!  :-)

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Do they allow bikes at OSH? We've been thinking that might be a cool way to get around if we could get them in the plane with us and the gear we need. I think it's totally possible. The space in Pursang is awesome for loading stuff up.

Posted

Not on the grounds...

Be bring the golf cars in order to get around outside the grounds.