Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wings, metal leading edge or no

60 posts in this topic

Posted

I actually did the same as you with the bottom rib stiching.  When I said that I started ribstiching behind the aluminum in an earlier post, I guess I was referring to the top fabric, and not punching holes in the aluminum to stich though it.  Jim Chuk

Photo0052.jpg

Photo0053.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Deleted

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Ron and Jim,

Thanks for the details and great pictures! It will be most helpful as the work on the wings continues.

Edited by RobS
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Rob,  Dan Stewart told me that they get the fabric on Kitfoxes as evenly hand-stretched as possible, and glue it to every rib before shrinking between ribs, starting near the center of the wing and working each way toward the ends of the wing, (I cant remember if he alternated-skipped bays),  also doing the initial shrinking alternating on both top and bottom of wings.   Hope I wrote this clear enough to understand.   He also told me that the new 2.7 shrinks a lot more than the old, and only mildly shrinks it, but recommends only using the 1.7 or 1.8 on our small planes.  We found that out about the 2.7 when we covered a J3. EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Another first timer question: Getting closer to laying down fabric and wondered if I should have my leading edge and other work "looked" at before I begin the fabric? I believe the FAA only requires the final DAR inspection to sign off that the plane is airworthy, but didn't know if it made sense (was helpful) to have someone look at the work as it progresses?

Posted

As you said, it's not required.  None the less, it might not hurt to have someone else give it a once over.  Some times we miss things that a second set of eyes will catch.   If all is good, then you didn't need it.  On the other hand....... :-)  JImChuk

Posted

That "Someone" does not have to be a DAR, but a person who knows about our type of plane would be beneficial, specially if he has built one - An EAA Tech Rep or an A&P or IA might also be good.  EDMO

Posted

That "Someone" does not have to be a DAR, but a person who knows about our type of plane would be beneficial, specially if he has built one - An EAA Tech Rep or an A&P or IA might also be good.  EDMO

excellent advise. 

Join your local EAA chapter and get a visit by their tech counselor.  It will be very helpful, informative and you may open some doors to more networking on your project. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks guys, good advice.

Posted

Rob,

I was a little nervous to have someone critique my work, but I am glad that I did!  A guy that has built more than one or two airplanes can give you so many great ideas it is unreal.  I am a hermit and like to lock myself in the garage and poke my head out every once in a while, but that is a mistake.  Now I welcome people in to see my project and we all help each other out.

The EAA is a great resource for more than just building your plane, so join if you aren't already a member.

I will say that opening your hangar door does allow the occasional sticky airport booger to latch onto you...I have started handing them a broom when they show up, they leave every time!  Ha!

You are at my favorite stage of the project, good luck!

Ron