Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WANTED: Updated tail feathers

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I was sitting right next to a MKIV yesterday and I noticed how much bigger his elevator was than mine. I measured it and it's 4" wider at it's widest point and he had the cable actuated trim tab. I can live with my rudder but it's quite a bit bigger too when you can see them side by side. Besides Airdale does anyone know where I can have one made or does anyone have a set from a kit that I could I steal temporarily as a template? I have an electric servo for trim and all the wiring. My plane's wing will never break in a stall its always the tail that quits flying. The VG's and gap seals helped but it's still the limiting factor. I knew the MKIV tail feathers were bigger but it's a lot more significant than I thought. 

Posted

I thought your dad had a MK IV kit?  If he didn't sell it then go steal it from him :lol:

Mine has "extended" tail feathers as well that look to have been made by the builder.  I have been thinking of making tail feathers like Larry did for his mangy fox.  I want more elevator when flying on floats, and I think if we put an air balance on it like a super cub, it will lighten the stick force when you pull full flaps.

:BC:

Posted

I agree with Leni.  Take off your elevator and build a balance on the ends of it to gain the surface area you need.  Look at my Mangy Fox build thread for what I did with the tail.

A little welding and tube fitting is pretty easy to do.  You've already done fabric work, so that isn't an issue...

Posted

Someone beat me to the tail feathers on my dads kit. They were missing when he got ahold of it.

Posted

hey Larry... you ready to start producing some parts on the side?  I would be thinking about it, but shipping from AK will make people piss and moan worse than I do about trying to ship stuff up here from down there :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Never leave home without a tape measure, paper and pen - I measured every plane that I thought might help me design mine.

I have rough dimensions for the Kitfox 4, if that would help you.  I made all of my tailfeathers larger than the earlier Foxes, and added the balance tips to each of them - not hard to weld on extensions to the old ones either.

EDMO

Posted

C5

Float planes never have enough rudder/elevator

I'm forwarding pic and measurements of what I did to improve this problem to your e mail add

Do know to send to site

Posted (edited)

Sioux201,

below,to the right, where I am writing this, I see a black rectangle with "Post" in it - to the right of that is says "more reply options"

If you will write your post, then click on "more reply options", it will take your post to an advanced portion, where you can attach photos, documents, or whatever.   Or, if it is a private matter, you can click on, for example, the name, like C5E and it will take you to the message section, where you can click on "send them a message", and that also lets you attach photos, ect.

Hope this helps.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Joey, I have upgraded both my rudder and elevator to the MKIV tail feathers. they are currently covered and waiting for paint. what exactly are you looking for? measurements? traced templates? ...??? they would be a piece of cake to fab from scratch and wouldn't cost too much either. let me know what you are looking for and I will do what I can to help. you can easily just cut everything off of your current torque tubes and weld the smaller tubing coming off it into whatever shape/size you want. I also have the elevator trim added to mine. nice upgrade.

-Robert-