Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Folded width of the Avid+/Airdale?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm one step closer to owning Pursang, the original "grown up" Avid. I'm working on where to store the plane though and wondering if it will fit in my trailer with the wings folded. I realize that since it was the first one it might be slightly different.

That being said, does anyone have a measurement of theirs folded up? I know my trailer is tall enough, just not sure about getting it in the rear door.

As for now I'm planning to fly it from Boise to St. Louis in February. I just have to tie up a few more things and then figure out the schedule and wait for weather.

Thanks guys!

Posted

It will be whatever the width of a folded MKIV is, plus the additional cabin width of the Pursang. Pretty wide and probably will not fit inside any commercially available car towable trailer. Just my guess though. John Larson would know.

Posted

Even having the known folded width of a mk IV would be helpful but I haven't seen that anywhere that I can find either. I believe that the Pursang is 4" wider at the carry through for the wings, but that might not be spot on.

Posted

it will be right around 8'6" or so.. a normal avid wont clear the doors on a normal enclosed trailer, you have to special order the trailer with a full width door.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I have removed wings for trailering - Best way is to put one on each inside wall, vertical, suspended by well-padded straps.   Oh - remove struts and jury struts from wings too.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

@Kenneth - Good luck on your purchase!

I took a 'wings folded' width measure the last time I had the wings mounted to my Avid+. At the time, I did not have the extruded PVC leading edge cuff installed but I did measure them separately and factor those in. The maximum wings folded width I wrote down in my log is exactly 99.0" inches with PVC cuff installed.

Also, my notes indicate that the maximum width of my Airdale W.I.B. (wider-is-better) main gear with Matco W62 6" wheels and Carlisle 4-ply 8.00x6 tires mounted, is exactly 75.0" inches from centerline to centerline (not outside edges) of the tires. Adjusting for the nominal tire width would give a maximum width of ~83.0" inches.

Here are Mk-IV specs that I have:

AVID FLYER MK-IV HEAVY HAULER SPECIFICATIONS

Wing Span- 29 ft. 10.5 in.
Wing Area- 122.46 sq. ft.
Wing Chord- 42 in.
Wing Chord Including Flaperons- 51 in.
Aspect Ratio- 7.29
Wing Loading @ Gross- 9.39 lbs.
Length- 17 ft. 11 in.
Length with Wings Folded- 19 ft. 9.5 in.
Width with Wings Folded- 7 ft. 9.5 in.
Width of Horizontal Stabilizer- 93 in.
Height- 71 in.
Cabin Width- 39 in. (not including bubble doors)
Across Ears (upper carry thru tube)- 33.5 in.
Across Seat Truss- 35 in.
Across Bottom of Panel / Knees- 33 in.
Seat Truss to Firewall- 25 in.
Toe Room (Cross Tube to Floor at Firewall)- 11 in.
Across Panel- 29 in.
Empty Weight- 440-510 lbs.
Gross Weight- 1150 lbs. (+4.4 / -2.2 G's)
Useful Load- 540 lbs.
Fuel Capacity- 26 US gal. + Header
Fuel Consumption- 4 gal./hr
Cruise- 90-100 mph
Range @ 65%- 500 mi.
Endurance w/ reserve- +5 hrs.

AVID FLYER HEAVY HAULER PERFORMANCE

Stall Speed- 32mph solo, 36mph gross
Never Exceed Speed (VnE)- 135mph
Rate of Climb- 1700fpm solo, 1000fpm gross
Climb Angle - 45 solo, 28 gross
Best Rate of Climb Speed (VY)- 45mph solo, 50mph gross
Best Angle of Climb Speed (VX)- 40mph solo, 50mph gross
Takeoff Distance- 90ft solo, 140ft gross
T/O Over 50ft Obstacle- 200ft solo, 350ft gross
Landing Distance- 150ft solo, 200ft gross
Service Ceiling- 12,500+ ft

* Performance with liquid cooled 65hp Rotax 582 and Rotax 3.0:1 model "C" gear reduction drive at sea level and standard temp conditions.

Posted

That's some good information, thanks a ton!

Looks like it would fit in the trailer if I removed one wing. Guess I'm back to having to see if there is a hangar I can rent a corner in. Time to call the airport owner (I fly from a private field that's public use).

Of course I have no idea what the Pursang's measurements are since it's a one off custom and just lead to the Airdale and Avid + designs. Until I have a chance to actually measure it I'm on my own to figure if it will fit. My door is 98" inside to inside the frame, If I remember correctly. I need to get out and measure it again though.

I don't suppose anyone ever really saw the written take off and landing performance that is state did they? 150' is almost as short as my dad's American Eagle ultralight that only weighs 170 pounds! But his doesn't have brakes and that was at 4600' MSL on hot days.

Posted

Kenneth,

Be sure to measure the horizontal stabilizer width as well - I didn't, and taking it off and putting it back on was no fun.  I could only get a 8' wide trailer, with a 7'6" opening to bring my Model C home in.  The folded width was 94" as I recall, which was 4" wider than the door opening.  The horizontal stabilizer was the same width as the wings folded.  The left wing has nothing in it but a wingtip light and the pitot tube, so it was easy to take off - I only had to take off one wing to get it to fit.  The tail was much more trouble!  I used carpet strips screwed to the inside wall to hold it during the trip from Northern CA to central Illinois.  My trailer was 20', and it fit in with a few inches in the front, and a few inches in the back. I put a piece of 2" foam insulation on the inside front wall during the trip, both to cushion in the event it shifted and contacted the front wall, and as witness to how hard any impact was. Fortunately nothing shifted and no dents were noted in the foam when I got home.

Maybe I can attach a picture of it in the trailer.....

Mark

Posted

Let see if this works:

InTrailer.jpg

Posted

Mark,

Thanks, that's all good information. As of now I am not planning to trailer it back from Idaho, I will fly it. But I was hoping to store it in the trailer. Just not sure until I actually get a tape measure on it what the outcome will be.

Thanks everyone, once again the knowledge shared is great!