Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Contemplating Frankenstein

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, I just put money down on a set of KF 4 wings. Need covering and a few repairs.  Hopefully it is the quickest way to get back in the air....... However, they are going on a KF 3 Fuselage.  Any thoughts about the downside of this monster?  I understand the KF 4 tail feathers are larger, and the mixer is different.  I believe I have a KF4 mixer.. roughly, bu not sure what other consequences might be waiting to bite me in the butt.

Since the prop was "delaminated" in my last mix up, I'll be biting on an IVO IFA.  What do you all expect my cruise will come in at?

Posted

I don't think you will have as much nose down force from the wings as the undercambered ones had.

Your cruise should be higher with these wings, and the IFA will increase that even more.

I hope you have read all the threads about how to prevent your IFA from destroying itself.

Best wishes for "Frankie", and let us know what results you get.

EDMO

Posted

Did you get the newer style flapperons, too? I don't think your old ones will be a direct bolt on without modification.

I'm not sure if the lift struts are exactly the same either...

Posted

You have a one off mixer that John came up with. It was the first mixer that gave it differential flaperons with 2:1 up versus down throw. Did you get the model iv flaperons too? Your going to like the Ifa, just don't expect it to be like a constant speed prop.

:BC:

Posted

There was a change in the flaperon hinges and mounts with the KF4 - You will have to modify in some way if you plan to use your old flaperons.  The modified setup, whatever you do, must match up the control tube to the support in the turtledeck.

Funny thing tho - When the new wing came out on the 4, the flaperons were changed from flat-bottom to symmetrical, and listed as "new and improved"  - later on, I believe on the KF7, the flaperons were changed back to flat-bottomed, and listed as "new and improved" - Some KF owners were not impressed with the advertising....

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Here's an exploded view of the [OEM] KF4 mixer that you might find helpful.

post-53-0-57482500-1390421911_thumb.jpg

[edit] just to be clear, this exploded view shows the oem mixer system

Edited by dholly

Posted

I know for a fact that it is a one off mixer that John installed under the seat.  He was the first one to make a mixer that had the correct differential in it, but in doing so, you now have to pull the bolts and manually fold the flaperons.  The mixer works well though!  There are a few other one off thnigs on that bird that improved the overall flight characteristics. 

:BC:

Posted

David -

I just had another thought... there is a KF3 builder a few hours from me that I know used KF4 wings. I believe he finished his plane and flew it for the first time last year. He is a member on the TeamKitfox forums under name 'GT280flyer' if you want to search up his posts or PM him.

Posted

Thanks for all the info.   I am getting symetrical flaperons and lift/jury struts along with the wings.  Leni, from what you are saying, sounds like my mixer is essentially a KF 4 mod. at least in function.   With any luck I'll have a couple weeks of ski flying yet this year.

Posted

Glad to hear you will be back in the air soon Dave!