Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Engine mount not on center line

5 posts in this topic

Posted

This is on my Avid Mark IV Heavy Hauler (about 1992 or 93 vintage).  This is a rebuilding project from an unfinished kit.  As I was removing the hardware around the engine to take it off the plane I noticed that it is about one inch off center to the left looking from the prop.  The engine mount came with the kit from Avid and the mount is built asymmetrical to make it off center.  I just did not expect it find an off center mounting.  I talked to a person who works on Rotax engines and he said he has heard of that arrangement. The manual does not address this point.  With the vast knowlede that abounds on this forum I am sure I can get confermation that this is OK.

Thanks again,

Jon

Posted

My 1992 MKIV HH w/582 had quite an offset and flew as true as could be. I think Avid switched from offset vert stab to offset engine mount to allow use of engine options that turn opposite the geared 582.

Posted

what Chris said

Posted

Early models ,cyauna,532s,rudder off set, latter rudder off set

Posted

A left-turning prop will pull to the right at high aoa, like sitting on the tailwheel, taxiing.  Maybe that's why the engine is offset to starboard.