Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Update to Deans latest project

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Some of you already know this but I am fortunate enough to have grown up around Dean Wilson and I have family friends who send pics now and again of what he's up to. These pictures came from a guy named Jack (Logtruckdriver) and Dean and him were nice enough to grant permission to post them. I don't know details but hopefully Jack will jump in as I'm sure folks will have questions. What I do know is it based off an A model. It has a really long skinny wing and is powered by a 40hp continental that was on Deans first plane WAY back in the day. Check out those struts and flaperons!

post-40-0-49918800-1390452959_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-41676100-1390452960_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-60807600-1390452961_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-70187300-1390452963_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-97631700-1390453010_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Those flaperons appear huge! Do you have any details as to what the wing span is?

It also looks like he's going for most lift off the struts as well. They remind me of struts from a shorts 360!

Posted

They don't look like Junkers style flapperons to me.  The wing does not appear to have a trailing edge.  They look like "regular" aileron-flaps.

Posted

More info on Dean's project : span 35 ft. Wing area. 122 sq. ft. Strut lift area 23 sq. ft. Length 16 ft. Cabin width 42". Fuel cap. 9gal. Power 1935. 40 horse cont. Dean says this is his personal hobby horse so what few scaps of paper (drawings) there we're have already hit file 13 . Interesting guy to work with! Jack

Posted

Love the monster slid ruler over the window!

Posted

Is he getting into motorglider territory? Considering the Wilson sailplane banner on the wall.

Posted

That is really cool.  I'm so glad he's still at it.  The last build I knew about was a boat.