Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

When...

15 posts in this topic

Posted

…did our country become so helpless that a little snow and cold paralyzes half the country so completely?  Kids sleeping in the schools?  People just abandoning their cars in the middle of the highway?  Really?  Have people become so completely and totally dependent on the government?

I think I personally own more snow removal equipment than the entire state of Georgia.

post-36-0-69609200-1391047583_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-15376600-1391047590_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Yo, we can handle it in Chicago.  We haven't even had a snowfall above 12" so far this year.  I think we're still talking about the Mason-Dixon line here.

Posted

Doesnt that piss you off! If its ten below here school is two hours late.Like it will be a hell of a lot warmer in two hours. If the schools in northern Mn did that they would never go!

Posted

Utter helplessness and chaos! It's amazing they can't figure out what to do. I realize the state doesn't have snow removal equipment but blaming the National Weather Service for the chaos doesn't help either! Lets just point fingers at someone because in general we can't think or know what to do. Heaven help us all!

Posted (edited)

The dumbasses in Ga should go to Anchorage in the winter instead of vacationing in Florida or Arizona - They could learn a lot while watching the huge snowblowers clearing 2 or 3 feet of snow from the streets every few days and putting it in a line of 10 or more dumptrucks that follow behind.

I keep hearing that they cant use salt down here because it is too cold - Don't they have sand in Ga - that's what they put on the streets in Alaska on top of the few inches of snow and ice that we drove on all winter - like from October until May.

They have 30 or 40 feet of snow some winters in Valdez or Cordoba - and nobody dies - they just wait for spring breakup to go fishing..  Oh yeh, it will be back to 60+F in Atlanta this weekend - SOME WINTER!!!!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I was happy to see that a couple of the network evening new programs (ABC CBS) had a story about the Brainerd Mn ice fishing contest on Monday night.  It was below zero all day Saturday and a fair amount of wind and there were hundreds if not thousands of people out on the ice having a good time.  Brainerd is about 75 miles from me.  I'm so tired of the news always hypeing up every weather problem, it was nice to see how we really deal with winter around here being featured.  I remember back about 40 years ago, it was about 30 below and we wanted some ice cream, I had just got a snowmobile and so I fired it up and  drove the 4 miles to town and got it.  (maybe that just proves I'm nuts though)  Jim Chuk

Posted

I feel sorry for the folks in Alaska this winter - they say we stole their winter - it was about zero here and 40F in Anchorage last week - poor Suberavid cant cross the lake on skis....maybe he can sell them to someone in Atlanta?

EDMO

Posted

I took my floats off and put the skis on... Just in time for 2" of water to show up on the lake. It's been above freezing here for almost 2 weeks!

:BC:

Posted

I took my floats off and put the skis on... Just in time for 2" of water to show up on the lake. It's been above freezing here for almost 2 weeks!

that's that crazy jetstream,knife edging up on top of you and letting cold air slide down over the rest of the continent.We were in the warm air for a bit but now it's gone for shit just like everywhere else.  

Posted

Its been the worst winter ever for flying. Cold, snowy and windy.

Posted

I haven't flown since September....

Posted

I don't feel too bad then. I flew my little plane without heat on the last of November and could have actually flown it a couple days since if I didn't have it in the garage instead of at the airport. No need paying tiedown fees if I don't fly it regularly though.

Posted

Use to work on the Dew Line in Barrow Alaska.

Winter 60 below blowing 100 mph off the ocean.

That was a little chilly.

Posted

We have one of the sites here at work out by STP.  It gets nasty out there with winter storms.. for the last 3 or 4 days its been in the 40s and sunny and the roads are getting muddy.. Yesterday we awoke to 10 and snowing.. today its still spitting a little snow.  Folks dont know and cant understand cold till they have worked in these conditions up here.

Posted

I sort of got the idea that conditions were not good up there when I had to keep the car plugged in and go out and start it every two hours in Fairbanks when it was minus 70F - Then again when Jim West and I drove up from Barrow in minus 50F and blowing snow and we stopped at the sign that says "NO vehicles past this point - Danger, Polar Bears", and could hardly make out the road on the way back.  Anchorage seemed like an Ocean Resort compared to that.

EDMO