Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Ohio member

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, my name is Bob Buehler and live in Creston,OH. I bought an Avid Flyer model 1. It is in Florida and plane on bringing it home this summer. It has a 532 Rotax electric start.with a trailer. 

Ive been a big airplane fan and been wanting to learn to fly.This year I was planning on starting to build a plane. I had a Corvair motor for some time to use but my brother in Florida told me about this plane. So I took the plung and bought it. I just need to learn to fly. I plan on getting my licence in a year or two. I guess I am doing it backwards, but when the chance comes along you got to grab it.So I don't know to much about flying and this plane but I'm learning. I'm getting a lot of good info from this website, so thanks to every one.

Posted

Hello Bob,

Sounds like you will have a very exciting summer this year!

I think you will find a lot of local Avid/Kitfox/EAB activity and support in Ohio.

Oh... as for those Famous last words... "I just need to learn to fly."

If you are at all superstitious, you might consider re-phrasing that one, hehe. :lol:

:welcome:

Posted

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. As a newer member and even newer Avid aircraft owner I can tell you :siterocks:!! I've learned a lot and hope that I can help others when they join as well. Even though I'm not in Ohio, I'm in Illinois and know there are a couple very good guys in the mid-west on here as well. Good luck with the training and the aircraft!

Posted

Thank you guys for the kind words and looking forward to hopefully go flying with ya some day.

Posted

Welcome aboard Bob,  We had a member do this very thing last year.  He bought a MK IV HH and got his ticket in it last summer.  Looking forward to hearing your progress and thoughts on the plane when you get to flying it.

:BC:

Posted

Hey Bob,

Welcome and congratulations! Where are you at in Oh? Bryce

Posted

Creston Ohio, between Medina and Wooster

Posted (edited)

.Here are some picture of my plane if I can figure it out. It needs a little TLC but well get there.

post-755-0-48379400-1392861333_thumb.jpg

post-755-0-23979200-1392861353_thumb.jpg

post-755-0-67666200-1392861365_thumb.jpg

post-755-0-44754000-1392861401_thumb.jpg

Edited by Avid Bob
2 people like this

Posted

Looks like a great place to start! I am digging the cowling hatch!

:BC:

Posted

Congrats Bob, welcome aboard!

Posted

Looks like the proper trailer setup for tail support. Don't forget to use some wing braces. When is moving day?

P.S. - Larry wants to buy your Corvair engine to put on my Avid+, can't say I didn't consider a WW conversion.

Posted

If I remember, about 6 months ago the guy bent his fus trailering with the fus braced

and not setting on the tail wheel. Setting on the tail wheel allows the spring to absorb

some bumps passed from the trailer.

I trailer mine to the airport every time I fly and the tail spring really gets used.

Mine is tied down around the wheel/tire and spring. I have a two leaf spring.

For long distance I would also provide something additional to keep the fus aligned with

the trailer in case the spring breaks

Posted (edited)

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought the guy had some straps over the fuselage and the tubes bent where the straps were when the plane bounced up and down on the trailer on some real ruff road.   I hauled three different Avids kind of far, 275, 450, and 550 miles with the tail supported off the rear hitch attach point with no damage.  Jim Chuk

PS just looked at the first picture, and that's where I supported the Avids I hauled

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Last time I trailered mine it was the first time since putting on my 8" tw and it would no longer fit in the channel and the tw lock didn't work anymore. I set the tw spring in the channel and tied it down thru the handles on the fuse. Didn't want to do it that way but was in a pinch. 600 miles on that one with no issues. My trailer has single leaf leafsprings and rides pretty smooth.

Posted

dholly, Sorry but my corvair engine is not for sale. I will be bringing my plane home some time this summer. I will make sure it will be tied down very well before I get it on the road. Thanks for the advise.