Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Seat belt mounting bolts

7 posts in this topic

Posted

The seat belt mounting bolts on my Mark IV are AN3 with a spacer to fit the larger hole in the mounting hardware for the  belt.  AN3 looks small for the job they need to do. The hole in the belt mounting hardware will take an AN5.  Have any of you up sized the bolts?  The plate that holds the mounting bolts looks heavy and could take the larger bolt.

Thanks,

Jon

Posted

My Kitfox uses 5/16 bolts - on the lower outside fitting, they need to be put in before the fabric goes on - there is a fiberglass disk that is epoxied to the head to protect the fabric - this could be made of some other material.

I would go with the largest bolt possible.

EDMO

Posted

Mine uses a larger bolt, with an aluminum disc glued to the fabric for protection.

I would use what ever the larges bolt that will fit through the seat belt bracket and the airframe mounting hole.

Posted (edited)

You could glue a piece of rubber or anything to keep the bolt head from wearing on the fabric - whatever works for you.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you hit hard enough to shear the an3 bolt, your worries are over anyway. If you go to a bigger bolt all your doing is tricking yourself into feeling better :lol:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

And small bolts wear faster and get weaker as time goes by - bigger is better - but not bragging!

And, why did this post end up on the wrong section????

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It looks like it is in the right section to me Ed.

:BC: