Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HKS on a HH

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Any thoughts or experience with the HKS 700? They appear the same output of the 582 w/only a slight overhaul increase in weight. I was wondering if the apparent easier maintenance cycle and 4-stroke reliability would be worth the switch. The other attractive thing is getting ride of the Rotax cooling issues.

Will a KF II HKS engine mount bolt up to the Mod C Firewall?

Cheers:)
Paul

Posted

Hey Paul,

Mike Ricketts has an Hks on his c. Bryce

Posted

First off they are only 60hp continuous. Second 4 strokes simply don't make the power of a two stroke. For example when the motocross scene went to 4 strokes it went from the 125 and 250 class as two strokes to the 250cc and 450cc 4 strokes to be similar. Also the same reason why a 912 has 1/3 more displacement and only makes 15 more hp. I flew behind one on a powered parachute for a season on a demo we were running and hated it. It was a gutless wonder compared to a 582. A HH loaded to gross is pretty marginal on a hot day thing to climb out of a hole. I wouldn't want to try it with the HKS. Now if your mission is flying around the local area solo in a very light plane all the time I am sure it would work great. If you like to load up and fly out of high altitude strips I think after spending the time and money for the swap you would be sorely disappointed. No way I would waste my time on a 4-stroke swap unless it was a 912.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well that settles that dosen't it Hans. This is not not good news to those selling the few I noticed in Barnstormers.

But I must say, recently, when I ride my '02 BMW R1150GS I think, what a great motor. It sure would be nice to have this on my Avid. And there is an innumerable supply of them. I've put 40k mi on mine; and makes gobs of torque; and its easy to service.

Now this is sweet!

http://spang-air.de/e/html/bmw_-_engine.html

The one in the top pic is an earlier 1100/50 motor which were in production till about '05. The lower is the 1200.

I'm trying to find prop torque numbers and what have you to see how it compares to the Rotax.

http://spang-air.de/e/BMW_R1100S_motorcycle_engine_-_installation.pdf

Edited by allonsye

Posted

First off they are only 60hp continuous. Second 4 strokes simply don't make the power of a two stroke. For example when the motocross scene went to 4 strokes it went from the 125 and 250 class as two strokes to the 250cc and 450cc 4 strokes to be similar. Also the same reason why a 912 has 1/3 more displacement and only makes 15 more hp. I flew behind one on a powered parachute for a season on a demo we were running and hated it. It was a gutless wonder compared to a 582. A HH loaded to gross is pretty marginal on a hot day thing to climb out of a hole. I wouldn't want to try it with the HKS. Now if your mission is flying around the local area solo in a very light plane all the time I am sure it would work great. If you like to load up and fly out of high altitude strips I think after spending the time and money for the swap you would be sorely disappointed. No way I would waste my time on a 4-stroke swap unless it was a 912.

Great points Joey. What do you know of the BMW conversions. I'm thinking it might be a cheaper 912 alternative. Need to compare the performance numbers yet and if the added power gain cancels and exceeds the added weight gain.

Posted

What rpm does the BMW operate at?  Weight?

EDMO

Posted

There is a guy from Russia that sells trikes, engines, and props up in Canada.  Look for Air trikes  on the net.  He has BMW engine setups plus GEO and others for trikes.  Some interesting info at any rate.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jim,

I used to talk to a Kitfox guy in south Africa - no, not the homebuilt 1800 lb - he was going to put a BMW in his Kitfox, but I lost contact with him when I moved and ex took the puter.

BTW: one of the members on here is looking for a nose gear setup - are you the one who had one?

EDMO

I went to the trike site - didn't learn much.

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I flew behind one on a powered parachute for a season on a demo we were running and hated it.

What kind of PPC has the engine in front??

Posted

Hi Ed,  I do have a nose gear set up.  It's like the later Kitfox style.  I had the grove main gear that went with it, but I sold that.  I've got pictures of the gear somewhere,  I'll try to find them and post them up.  Jim Chuk

Posted

They auto gyro guys are doing a lot with BMWs. Check out the rotary forum. Chewie it was a Harmening High Flyer pusher PPC. My dad and I were doing instruction and sales when I was in high school.

Posted

Dang Joey, you been drinking Larry's coffee again?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You know, Randy, when you're right, you're right ...

For the record, however, my second choice would probably be a Subaru.

But I wouldn't even spend Doug's money on a VW conversion! :)

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe get me some Corvair power for the Fat Bastard!

Posted

:rolleyes:

Posted

Interesting topic for sure. Jim, that fellow up near Montreal has a variety of auto/moto setups. If I were looking for something like the 912, I'd definitely consider the BMW 1100 setup for overall cost and longevity. I know from first had experience the BMW motors are amazingly robust. I'm surprised their not more popular given their dimensionaly opposed cylinders lending to adaption within aircraft cowls.

Posted

Chewie it was a Harmening High Flyer pusher PPC. My dad and I were doing instruction and sales when I was in high school.

I know Joey.  It was a joke.

Posted

Joey,  you missed the joke!  You said,  "flying BEHIND ONE in a PPC".....???.:lol:

EDMO

Posted

It's not Joey's fault.  It was my failed delivery.  You should've seen me in high school.  It was bad.

1 person likes this

Posted

Chewie,

Maybe the wind from the forward-mounted engine on the PPC took your breath away!   :lol:

EDMO