Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advise for the short sighted.... Northstar fuel flow

4 posts in this topic

Posted

There is a thread happening @ http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=55853 regarding the NorthStar fuel flow meter and calibration of the same.

Some of the "suggestions" provided include....

"I did read the instructions and figured I'll have to fill both wing tanks, fly for awhile, then drain the wing tanks and remeasure the fuel left to figure my real fuel usage."

"Wouldn't it be much easier to top off, go fly and then top off again?"

"Fill to the gunwales, go fly a while and refill to the gunwales measuring

the amount for the second fill. Reset the fuel flow meter."

OK...,  Now the simple way. No flying necessary, and no wasted gas.

Turn the fuel valve off..., disconnect the fuel line (I disconnect mine at the inlet to the fuel pump...) , slip a spare hose with the proper ID and length over the fuel line so it will reach a 5 gallon can on the floor.

Turn the Master switch on, reset the gauge to "0", turn the fuel valve on, and note the time.....

When the can has 5 gals. in it, the gauge should show 5 gals. used.  Duh?

How long did it take to "flow" 5 gals?  Just to keep the math simple, let's say 1/2 hr. Therefore GPH should read 10 GPH. Again, Duh?

Mine is on dead nuts. No "calibration"  necessary.

498_004_JPG3c031428148e3308c65dc7388d8b5

Posted

That is a really nice looking panel.

Excellent work.

Posted

I can't take credit for the panel, just the GPS and fuel flow gauge. But my dead buddy "Ray" appreciates the complement I'm sure. (I bought the plane from the widow)

In fact, I put the flow gauge where it is because I couldn't stand to cut another hole or alter it in any way. I don't want it to have a "cluttered" look. Everything seems to be where it naturally belongs.

Posted

Mine was soooooo damn close I didnt bother trying to calibrate it closer... sometimes the square rooters make life more difficult than it needs to be.  I like to keep it simple and fun!

:beerchug: