Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WANTED - NOSE GEAR SHAFT MATERIAL

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Wondering if anyone has a source or idea of some kind of material or part that could be used as a nose wheel pivot shaft - chrome-plated - 3/4" to 1" diameter 1/8" to 1/4" wall, or solid, and 6 to 12 inches long.  Must be weldable, and prefer 4130.  Maybe a shaft or rod from some machine?  There should be one in a scrap pile somewhere.

Thanks,

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I have it, can cut out to your spec.

Posted (edited)

Sioux201 has the weld-in fuselage mount for the Avid nosegear.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I am in the process of adapting a Rans 800 nose fork assembly to my Flat Avid tri gear project. The nosewheel weldment is 1 5/8 OD and about 06 wall thickness. Once the bronze bushings are installed, the pivot shaft (been trying to figure out what to call it) requires 1 3/8 od tubing. I bought 058 and 125 thickness 4130 from aircraft spruce for the project so I would have different flavors to work with. I also bought some 1 1/4 OD X 058 to use as a doubler for the 058 if I decided to go that direction.

The 058 seems not substantial enough and Avid ended up specifying a doubler after a few broke early on. The 125 just feels too heavy and way overkill once I had it in hand so I ordered some 090, and the 090 is due to arrive tomorrow. I think that will be the "right" size and strength for the nosewheel steering shaft and what I will use with the modified Rans fork.

Two feet of 090 4130 costs about $10.00 and another $10 to ship it. Go figure.

If This rans nose fork thing works like I hope it will, the original RV style full castering spring, wheel and tire assembly will be availabe for anyone who is looking for one of those.

Posted

I just re-read this post and am unsure if you are trying to construct a nosewheel assembly for a fuse that already has a weldment or if you are looking to build a nosewheel weldment into a tailwheel only fuse.

Just disregard what I said earlier if you are trying to build a weldment into the fuse.

Posted (edited)

Thanks ChrisB,

Someone will probably want your old gear - Nothing stock Avid or Kitfox even comes close to looking like the gear I am building - mine is really an oddball - sort of like putting flaps and ailerons on a Kitfox - just because I want to.  If I don't find some chrome plated tube or bar, then  I will go to my local supplier and buy some more 4130 and paint it.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri