Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Murphy Rebel Elite

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Need some pros and cons. I need to educate myself on these. Mission will stay the same as the fox which is to play around locally but I "need"3 seats.

There is a bird in MN for sale on BS.

Posted (edited)

Nice plane - watched one being built in Alaska - but 50,000 rivets was too much for me to do.  Donno performance.  Subaru or Corvair engine?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The one for sale has an 0320. It would be great to talk with someone who has flown the Murphy.

Posted (edited)

The guy who was building the one I looked at was in SuberAvid's neighborhood.  He belonged to EAA-42.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I know one guy in our chapter who is building one with an 0360 but it is still a ways from flying.  Don't know anyone firsthand who has a flying one though.

Posted

Theres a guy here in my town that has one,it has a injected Subaru motor in it.It is actually for sale but don't know for how much.I can find out if interested.Pretty nice plane.Randy

Posted

Ok. Let me know. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Just guessing - the injected Soob is probably a 2.5 engine - 165 hp? - also guessing Eggenfeldner?   although the alphabet engine (WRX?) or something like that could be 200 hp.  Would doubt that it would be a 3.3 engine.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Soob any good? Itll be another learning curve for me. I got a good grasp of these 2-strokes and I'm liking them. Of course the lyco is easy stuff too

Posted

We got dumped on with snow last night but maybe tomorrow I can run out to the airport and get some pics of it and if you want I can get you in touch with the guy.Hes a ER Dr. so not the easiest person to get a hold of.I believe Ed may be right about the 165 HP. Rings a bell anyway.I know its always been hangered because his hanger is next to mine.Randy

Posted (edited)

Soobs are better than good - will outlast any Lycosauris, and burn 1/2 the gas at $3 per gal instead of $6 gal for avgas - and overhaul, if you should ever need one, is cheap.  Cars can run 3 to 400K if people just do regular maintenance like oil changes.  Just guessing, the 2.5 Soob should cruise about same or a little less gas per hour as your 618, and the 1.8 Soob will burn 1/2 that.  A 320 Lycoming will burn twice as much as your 618.

There were two versions of the 2.5, a single overhead cam, and a double overhead cam - Both have been out for a long time.  I cant say which is better, or that it matters.  The only bad thing was that the weight increased too much for the Kitfoxes and Avids.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

A few blanket statements in regard to Avids and Kitfoxes and the Subaru motor:

A, B, C, and stock Mk IV Avids should avoid the Subies for weight reasons.  In order to balance these planes an unreasonable amount of ballast is needed in the tail.  The Avid +, Airdales (Pursang) and those Avids that have had the 15" stretch modification will handle it and often work with a Subaru very well (as I'm sure Randy will attest to).

I, II, III, and IV Kitfoxes should also avoid Subies for all the same reasons.

The Achilles heal of Subaru installations has always been and always will be the PSRU system used.  I don't know much about them, so I will let others speak to the particulars, but there have been good ones and there have been bad ones.  

Buyer beware.

(cough-chough-Eggenfeltner-choke-cough-cough)

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

I think this 2.5 Soob in the Murphy will be a good bet if it has been flown for a while with no problems.  You need to ask how many hours he has on it.  These engines are good for up to 3000 hours, or more, before overhaul.

EDMO

As far as the early Foxes and Avids needing the 15" stretch to balance the EA-81 Soob,  I extended my "Foxy"  leading edges 4" and my tailfeathers 12" - Hoping this will be close enough to the "stretch" for my Soob.

Time will tell.

EDMO

I wrote this somewhere else in the wrong post.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ok. Let me know. Thanks.

Took a few pics today of Docs Rebel,it was locked so the ones I took of panel and back seat didn't turn out .It hasn't been flown for awhile so a little dirty but you can see its a pretty nice bird.I think it has just barely got the 40 hours flown off of it.Randy

post-104-0-85441500-1394230798_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-33702900-1394230826_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-28021600-1394230866_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-71529700-1394230898_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-87703700-1394230924_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-86386100-1394230947_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-37454700-1394230971_thumb.jpg

Posted

One of the inspectors that used to work up here has one with an 0320 in it and he loves it!  He has had supercubs, 180s etc, and he just absolutely loves flying his rebel.  I was seriously looking into buying a kit when my avid came along.  If you need 3 seats its a great bird.

:BC:

Posted

Interesting hangar design; is it 4 sided for 4 planes?

Posted

Its just a two place hanger,probably would not be legal anywhere but here.Someone added on to one end,its the last hanger on the airport and then its a field where the Rebel is.My hanger is next to it but not much better,it is enclosed but just gravel on the floor.Price is right so I am not complaning.Randy

Posted (edited)

I personally was looking for a Rebel when I ran across the Pursang and the other Mk IV that was somewhat local for sale. What got my attention was the Pursang's cargo space and economy with the Soob engine. If I could grab a Rebel I'd do it in a second. It would suit my missions very well and since it's metal I wouldn't have as hard of a time leaving it outside due to hangar costs. Seems like I need to do the work to this airplane and get it flying like it should and fly it for a while then decide what to do next.

It appears this Rebel is in pretty nice shape. I guess I haven't seen it on Barnstormers, I may have to go look now and see what all it has.

I forgot to mention that I have a good friend that owned one of the Rebels with an 0-320 in it and he loved the plane. Not really sure why he sold it other than he gets bored when a plane is completely redone and sells it and moves on to another project. I told me he sold it for almost $70,000 back a few years ago when the economy was still okay and just before it took the turn downwards.

Edited by lostman