Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Howdy from Maine

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wanted to say hello to all of Lenny's members. Thanks for the invite, Lenny!

Live in Maine - 39 years old, flying since 1989 (gliders) and interested in anything that flies.

Cheerio!

:BC:

JJ

Posted

Graaate Avatar!  Welcome aboard.  You must have read my bitchin about the photo that looked like a dead horses ass  -

You get the prize this week.   :lol:

EDMO

Posted

Welcome, JJ!  We love to talk about things that fly and other things that don't.  Enjoy your time hanging out here.

Posted

Welcome aboard JJ!

Posted

Thank you for the nice welcome, gents!

Posted

Welcome! We love all kinds of stories not just flying stuff!

Posted

I echo the words of those that have posted up already, welcome and let the stories flow!

Posted (edited)

Ditto; welcome JJ.  The Avitar picture is great.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

Thanks!

Not sure where I found this avatar picture but there's tons of them out there.

post-792-0-54653400-1394545932.jpg

post-792-0-41711300-1394545988.jpg

post-792-0-69509000-1394546148.jpg

You should be able to right click those, save them to your computer and then upload them as your avatar.

Posted

Welcome Jason, I've lurked your site on occasion. When I get finally my Kitfox floating I'll jump thru your registration hoops.

Posted

FWIW, the "registration hoops" over there are the same as they are here... While they may take a few seconds of thought, it helps keep the bots from flooding the website and crashing the server or worse yet, hacking the forum and getting everyone's info.  I am leaning towards getting SSL protection and trying to secure this forum even more, it just takes time and $$ :lol:

Posted

Hi dholly, thanks for the welcome!

Registration hoops are not what anyone (including me) likes a lot, but a new age of spam robots make things tough to manage these days. Its a fine line between making something too smart for a robot to figure out, while easy enough for normal people to figure out.

As a forum owner, you want to keep your membership safe and sound while preventing the software from being destroyed.

I am seeing straight out 25x more fraudulent activity with hijack attempts, DDOS attacks than I did 4 years ago and some groups seem to focus in on small sites, instead of going after the big ones. Staying one step ahead is almost impossible. I am sure Lenny can sing a song about the pains associated with all this stuff, it is downright mindnumbing.

Running software like this is the equivalent of being married. You do some totally harmless looking thing today and suffer for it days, weeks, months or years later. Its literally one thing that brings the whole show crashing down. One stinky little thing you didn't consider...or couldn't budget a fix/ patch for.

Posted

Gents - please don't misinterpret my registration comment as criticism. I know you guys are waging a battle against the bad guys and my hat is off for your efforts. It sure is nice to come learn and share, or even blow off a little steam with like minded nut jobs after a long day. I think I found Jason's site a few years back after the dust up at the SPA, it didn't help that their forum was a frustrating mess. Actually, I think the same 10 y.o. was running the EAA forums back then too. ;-)

Posted

Ha, if a 10 year old had been running them they'd have probably work great! 

Mark

Posted

Gents - please don't misinterpret my registration comment as criticism. I know you guys are waging a battle against the bad guys and my hat is off for your efforts. It sure is nice to come learn and share, or even blow off a little steam with like minded nut jobs after a long day. I think I found Jason's site a few years back after the dust up at the SPA, it didn't help that their forum was a frustrating mess. Actually, I think the same 10 y.o. was running the EAA forums back then too. ;-)

No such misinterpretation on this end, besides constructive critique is always good. I remember the frustrating mess on the associations forum, I was the moron volunteer trying to fix it between 2008 and 2010. Everyone eventually hits their stop, so I started my own site, just to see how a functional, uncensored memberdriven website for seaplane pilots would work. Many ups and downs later, no regrets, other than feeling like I should have started it much sooner.

Who's got snow? More than a foot in the forecast for tonight and early tomorrow.

:bsflag: Maine sucks like a Dyson this time of year.

Posted

It was raining like cow pissing on a flat rock at the house yesterday.  Snowmachine is kaput for this year :lol:  Hoping the rain thaws the lakes out and get the float season here a little quicker!

Posted

Snowmachine:

url-1.jpg

Snowmobile:

2009_MXZ.jpg

Get it right, man…  stick%20with%20poke.gif

Posted

:lmao:  its a snogo damnit..  :flipoff:

you probly drink soda too don't ya  :handjob:   :lmao: 

Posted (edited)

…only if they don't have any pop.    smiley-finger007.gif

While sitting on the davenport.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

:lmao:

Yeah JJ, we do tend to have a little fun around here.  :nutkick:  :party: 

Posted

It was raining like cow pissing on a flat rock at the house yesterday. 

You sniff some heavy glue, dude! Are you saying you have a cow pet that pisses on your caves roof?

1 person likes this

Posted

Was 50*F at 6 pm here yesterday. Started snowing around 9am today and 12 hrs later we have 20" on the ground and I can't see the shop from the house. Supposed to go till 9am tomorrow, everything's closed due to blizzard warnings, winds 20-25 G50. And Spring is only a week away?

Posted

I guess you won't need a snow machine, now…

1 person likes this

Posted

Nope. Full on blizzard. It just wont stop... :blush:

Posted

Man I hate shoveling heavy heart attack snow.