Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Motorcycle Twin Radiators for cheek rads?

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Doug,

I believe summit racing and some other shop also do custom work - probably not cheap!   Maybe Harrison too?

Is that a nose wheel I see in the Aero photo?  Can you give me distance to mains?

Thanks, 

EDMO

I read the page on triple-pass mods - Cant agree on leaving out the thermostat tho - You might get away with it on a Chevy V8, but most modern engines are made to run at a certain temperature, and they need it.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Here is a page of radiator shop addresses, from the book "Converting auto engines for Experimentanl aircraft" by Richard Finch, 4 th edition.     I also read in here about using a Honda Civic rad for a 2.7 Soob and another using Motorcycle radiator.  I have other books on this too.

EDMO

Sorry Doug, No one has told me how to downsize photos or scans on W7, and probably too dumb anyway!

ED

post-399-0-04922200-1395099808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Doug - Thanks for posting the pics of your AeroTek setup -- enormously helpful.

Posted (edited)

As an addition to the rad builders info I posted above:

The best article I have read on cooling is in "Alternative Engines" Vol. 2, by Mick Myal - It really goes into detail on trials of cooling an NSI EA-81 Soob in a Europa.    About 5 pages long, with lots of comparisons of different kinds of rads, Griffins, and Setrab exchangers, and has very detailed info on fins, matrix, thickness, and sizes, and results of his Shop Vac tests.

One bit of info he gave, "A thick radiator and dense fins will cool just fine at high speeds, but will not cool at idle or on the ground, because the air cannot be forced thru it." (paraphrased)  Another was: "If you use the wrong kind of antifreeze for aluminum engines and radiators, it can gel in the rad and not cool."

I could try to post it, but as enept as I am, I would rather copy it and mail it to someone who would post it, if it is wanted.

He gives sizes and cooling data, but does not include anything on cheek rads, but I guess you could divide a rad size in half and use that as cheek rad sizes.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Doug - Thanks for posting the pics of your AeroTek setup -- enormously helpful.

No prob Paul, hope it gave you some ideas. I think it's a pretty neat, well thought out FWF setup.

@Ed - I took some care but didn't square perfectly and come up with 60" axle to axle.

Posted

Thanks Doug,

I thought it would be more than Avid 43 1/2.  Got to get mine together some day and measure it.

Any front wheel weight yet on yours?

EDMO

Posted

@Ed

NG - 103.62 lbs

MRH - 291.01 lbs

MLH - 286.60 lbs

EW - 682.33 lbs

MTOW - 1232 lbs

Posted

Thanks Doug,  That gives me some idea of what EW nose gear weight - of course that will change with pilot and fuel.

EDMO