Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cessna on its nose after hitting skydivers chute on runway

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I guess everyone has seen this by now - if not, then you should watch FOXnews - Fantastic photos - quick action by pilot saved skydiver, but really took a hit when he nosed the Cessna into the ground!

Both were lucky to not have major injuries or be killed.

Pilot was 87?

EDMO

BTW:  6.9 California Earthquake this morning in Joey's backyard!

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Scary!

Pilot and chutist both in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some things happen so fast, don't they. Both lucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVdDOonvhcU

1 person likes this

Posted

People keep saying what a good job the pilot did to avoid the parachutist.  I don't understand this position.  He shouldn't have even been in the same area as a parachutist!  Why in the hell would you be doing touch-and-gos on a runway that is conducting parachute ops without knowing exactly where the jumpers are? 

The pilot is totally at fault, no question in my mind.  He should loose his piloting privileges and be heavily fined.  A lawsuit by the parachutist on the pilot would not be in any way frivolous, IMO.

Posted

From the news, the skydiver was off course.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

As Ed said, from the news report I saw this AM the parachutist drifted out of the LZ and across the runway where he really should not have been.  The pilot saw him at the last second drift in front of him and stomped the rudder and pulled up to try and keep from taking the guys head off with the wing.  Seems like a shitty situation all the way around that in hind site could have possibly been avoided, but this could have turned out MUCH worse!

:BC:

Posted

BTW,  I just got word that the insurance company has totaled my friend's Luscombe - The $25K repair job was so bad than no other company would bid on fixing the bad repairs - and the pilot who flew it up damaged the tail and tailwheel mount - just waiting on $35K check now.  And, they did get the Colt out of the Lake.  That CFI actually wrecked 2 planes on that trip!

EdMO

Posted

The LZ was on or near the airport, right?  That means the airport should be CLOSED to aircraft operations of any sort while the jumpers are in the air or under canopy.  This period only lasts a few minutes per jump.  Stop and wait.  Parachute operations are far from totally controlled flight.  Any competent pilot should know this and expect the unexpected during the process.

A jumper out of position is no excuse.  The jumper has the right of way.  Sorry.  Pilots fault.  Period.