Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

F7A

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Akflyer

Have you switched to the new F7A flaperon controls? If so is it worth it? How much rigging does it take after you install them?

Bandit

Posted

I installed them beforeI ever flew it.. if it is anything likethe KF I or II in adverse roll, then yes it is worth it.  Mine have far less roll coupling than the KF does.  Rigging was simple and took about an hour tops.  Probably closer to 30 minutes.

Posted

I'm thinking I should do this mod while I have mine apart. I have to check all the rigging before I fly it anyways. What did you use for rigging instructions?

Posted

Mine did not come with rigging instructions, but I got some online that someone had made a .jpg of.... so they took a pic of the instructions but they are readable.  I will see if I can find the file and upload it here.

Posted

I called Airdale today and ordered me a set. They were $80 and come with the bellcranks, new connecting rods, and detailed instructions. I'll scan the instructions and post them along with pics of the install after I'm done.

Posted

I am going to order the F7A's tommorrow, along with the new double tailwheel spring.

Posted

I got the double tail spring, but am going to have it cut down.. The tail is too high even with 24" mains and avid wide, extended gear.  I could drag it in WAY slower and get off the ground alot quicker if I could get more angle of attack on the wing.  I am going to cut it down as much as I can and still have some spring left to absorb a bit of the shock.

:beerchug:

Posted

Mine did not come with rigging instructions, but I got some online that someone had made a .jpg of.... so they took a pic of the instructions but they are readable. I will see if I can find the file and upload it here.

Dave Fisher has them on his website. Here is the direct link to the rigging information. It's for a Kitfox, but it's probably close enough.

Posted

Leni what did you end up setting your flaperons to? I read it someplace but can't find it now. I think you said -2 or thereabouts....

Posted

My Bandit seemed to fly the best at about -1 or level.

Posted

Thanks Bandit... did you leave your flaps limited at 15 degrees or have you tried to go farther?

Posted

I set mine at 20.  With the new mixer, I dont think control reversal will be as much of an issue ( I use full flaps and it has not shown up here), however, I would not use full flpas on landing unless the wind is pretty mush straight down the runway.  The roll rate is affected my this much flaps.  I would set them for all you can get then go to altitude and see how she feels.  On gusty winds or cross winds, I dont use too much flap.

:beerchug:

Posted

I set my flaps at 15. I did notice on landing with a little cross wind I ran out of flaperon.

Posted

I called Airdale today and ordered me a set. They were $80 and come with the bellcranks, new connecting rods, and detailed instructions. I'll scan the instructions and post them along with pics of the install after I'm done.

Can you please photo these detailed instructions and any figure/drawings and post them? Long story, but need them and do not have them.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Greg

:siterocks:

Posted

Here is a copy from my files...not the best quality but I think you can make out the words etc.  I hope so anyway.  Cheers, Mike

889_50f38dad602d04cadf5c7acfb46268cdf4f1

Posted

Hello all,

We are in the middle of installation of the flight controls, now on the F7A Mod. Does anyone have the instructions from airdale that came with the F7A Mod for the Avid Flyer? We really need this as we somehow managed to make it down here without the F7A instructions that should have come with the kit.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Greg

Posted

here is the best I can come up with off hand.  I will go through the Avid com newsletters and see if I can find the original article.

891_a30fdf73bf01faed1d0c7bce78c53b81dc9b

Posted

Greg-

This mod is applicable to Avid Flyer models only, not your Airdale Flyer Avid+.

Hello all,

We are in the middle of installation of the flight controls, now on the F7A Mod. Does anyone have the instructions from airdale that came with the F7A Mod for the Avid Flyer? We really need this as we somehow managed to make it down here without the F7A instructions that should have come with the kit.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Greg