Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hello and to the point

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I'm new on the forum, but short on time.  so I have a few idiot question to ask.  I'm looking at an Avid mod C Heavy hauler listed currently on Barnstormers.  I've talked to the owner, and will be inspecting the plane this weekend.  It all seemed to be going smoothly until I looked into financing it.  There apparently isn't enough Mod C's out there for AOPA to justify the risk.  So I have two options, either dig up 25 tail numbers and 3 confirmed sales, or have the plane modified and registered as a MkIV.  Can you point me in the right direction for either? 

If I can't do it, then FYI there is a freshly rebuilt Mod C in Phoenix looking for a good home.  

Posted (edited)

Welcome,

I would call EAA and ask them for info on financing, and who might be best to go to.

I took an equity loan on my house one time to buy a plane for cash.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you mean you need to find 25 C model Avids, got to the FAA website, and do a search for make and model.  Maybe just go with Avid Flyer as model, and then look through them indivigually.  Just looked quick that way, and there are 517 Avids listed.  There is only one Avid Flyer model C listed if you type that in the model box.  However, just using Avid Flyer  there will pull up the rest of the Avids.  Then you have to go by serial # to tell which one are C models.  I believe from about 1000 and higher, are MK IVs, and I'm not sure off hand how high up the B model went.  Maybe 300-400, but that's just a guess.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Call the EAA!

Posted

The builders could have screwed you there.. Mine is registered as a "Elrod Dennis B" avid flyer.. But it's an avid C HH.. A lot of the builders registered themselves as the manufacture.

Posted (edited)

Leni,

I thought the rule was that the builder who applies for the paperwork HAD to list himself as the "manufacturer"?

What other "manufacturer" could there be?  Certainly not the Kit company?

Or did you mean that this guy put his name as the Make/Model in addition to being the "manufacturer"?

Have I missed something about NOT listing yourself as the manufacturer?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

When you do a search on the FAA website under make and model, there is an upper box that lists manufacturer, and lower box that list model.  If you type in Avid Flyer in the model box, it will pull up 517 matches for the model.  By going through each of the planes listed, you can look for serial # that are likely to be a model C.  Ed, I believe you are correct in your last post, the builder is the manufacturer.  Some guys make up their own serial #, I think they may have made up their plane from parts, maybe even a reconstructed aircraft and then with a different serial # there wouldn't be 2 airplanes with the same # in the FAA data base.  Don't know why, but I just now typed in Avid Flyer model C and came up with 7 listed aircraft.  This morning I'm sure there was only one.  One of them has a serial # of 351, so that might be close to the break point between the B and C models.  Just typed in Avid in the model box and that brought up 823 listings.  Search the serial # from 350 to 1000 and you should find all kinds of C models.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I looked up mine.  The builders registered it as model 'AVID FLYER STOL', and serial number of '1', not the kit serial number.   One of the builders of mine was Charles Lindberg :-).  So guess who's name was listed first..  He liked to say, 'yes I am that Charles Lindberg, but no, I didn't fly solo across the Atlantic'.

I carry full insurance on it, and was a relatively low time (250 hours), 0 tailwheel time pilot when I bought it.  I didn't have any real trouble, the insurance company just put a clause that I had to log 10 hours with a qualified instructor before I was covered for solo flight.  Try the EAA (Falcon), that's where I get my insurance.

Mark

Posted

Oops, sorry, you were looking for financing, not insurance.  My mistake!

Mark

Posted

Just go on the Faa list and tell them you found all kinds of C models, how the hell would they know the difference?

Posted

hello again,

Special thanks to all of you for your help.  I looked at the plane yesterday and I was amazed.  Usually when you look at a barnstormer's ad there's some sort of issue.  The seller doesn't want to sell, the plane spent two years on a salt flat, it jsut exploded etc...   With your help, I've found several hundred Model C Avid's still flying.  I jsut need to find record of three completed sales, and I'll be one of your newest members!. 

Posted

N61pw is one that I know was completed ... What do you need for a record?

:BC: