Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Howdy!

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Howdy folks.  New guy here.  I've been lurking for some time now and figure it would be rude to start throwing questions out there without introducing myself.  I spent 11 years in the Navy as a P-3 Flight Engineer, Survival Instructor, and Non-Destructive Tester.  Now I live in Juneau, Alaska working for the state.

I ran into akflyer in 1995 where we worked together for a year or so.  We used to go zooming damn near every day after work and that's where I got hooked.  It's still taken me 12 years to finally get around to working on my pilot's license, but I'm knee deep in it now.  I have just about 10 hours logged so far and thinking I'll pull through, so I'm plane shopping.

That's what leads me to post here ... for advice.  I'm pretty interested in taking the route most of you have in building a kit plane, but intimidated as all hell to try and do that from the get-go.  In the meantime, I'm looking for a time builder that will allow me to haul Momma and the baby girl around the skies.

On Leni's advice, I'm focusing on the Short-Wing Death trap and I believe I've found one down in California that would suit me just fine.  Any advice is welcome and appreciated, such as:  Finding a good A&P to do a pre-buy, things to watch out for, questions to ask, etc. 

By the way, Leni, how soon do you reckon we can fly down there and pick her up if it works out? 

Posted

From another newby:  Join AOPA and utilize their services.  :2cent:

Posted

Howdy folks.  New guy here.  I've been lurking for some time now and figure it would be rude to start throwing questions out there without introducing myself.  I spent 11 years in the Navy as a P-3 Flight Engineer, Survival Instructor, and Non-Destructive Tester.  Now I live in Juneau, Alaska working for the state.

I ran into akflyer in 1995 where we worked together for a year or so.  We used to go zooming damn near every day after work and that's where I got hooked.  It's still taken me 12 years to finally get around to working on my pilot's license, but I'm knee deep in it now.  I have just about 10 hours logged so far and thinking I'll pull through, so I'm plane shopping.

That's what leads me to post here ... for advice.  I'm pretty interested in taking the route most of you have in building a kit plane, but intimidated as all hell to try and do that from the get-go.  In the meantime, I'm looking for a time builder that will allow me to haul Momma and the baby girl around the skies.

On Leni's advice, I'm focusing on the Short-Wing Death trap and I believe I've found one down in California that would suit me just fine.  Any advice is welcome and appreciated, such as:  Finding a good A&P to do a pre-buy, things to watch out for, questions to ask, etc. 

By the way, Leni, how soon do you reckon we can fly down there and pick her up if it works out? 

You say the word :lol:

I be working every two weeks and go back to work this coming Tuesday.... do the math 2X2

:beerchug:

Posted

Both pacers I'm eyeballin' are in Cali.  One in S.F. area and the other way the hell down by San Diego.

I was told there would be no math.  Hells bells son, I can't even keep track of my own Sergeants on their week on week off and now you want to double the equation???

I'll follow the advice on AOPA for sure Av8r.

Posted

F@#k cali... I hate congested airspace... but boy do I have the guy for you :lol:

Just give me the word and we will be on a commercial flight to go get your bird so damn fast you just wont belive it... but be ready for a side step to the avid / kitfox factory for a meet and greet  :buttrock:

:beerchug:

Posted

Hay y'all, I'm in the big SD, well actually Ramona.

Where is the short wing thing? Maybe I can look at it, only from a distance, don't want it to fall on me. lol

On the way down I bought a Plane&Pilot mag, April edition, which has a good article on a restored PA20

Bob

Posted

akflyerbob, here's the Barnstormer's posting.  I emailed the guy, but still waiting on an answer.  I'm not sure where Roseville is, but if it's anywhere near you, maybe you could take a look at her.

1953 PIPER PACER PA-22/20 135 • $25,000 • FOR SALE TO GOOD HOME • Fly at only 7gph! 135 hp Beautifully restored 1953 Piper Pacer. Approx 450 SMOH 3300TT Wide gear, good tires, good radio, good xponder, new exhaust, Airtex interior, dual toe brakes, shoulder harness, auto STC, sealed struts, fine tooth comb annuals by Lincoln Skyways, all logs back to new, prop balanced, flys like a dream! Always hangared, this is my baby.Hate to sell, but times are tough! Rock bottom price. • Contact Phil Haupt, Owner - located Roseville, CA USA • Telephone: 916-521-1222 • Posted March 10, 2009  • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser  • Recommend This Ad to a Friend  • Email Advertiser  • Remove from Watchlist  • Report This Ad  • View Larger Pictures

517_Charlie_and_Dog_jpgde0716558e90cdb05

Posted

Whoops, sorry akflyerbob, that's the one near San Fran.  Pay no attention to that  :P

I haven't talked to the guy on the one near San Diego yet.

Damn right on the KF factory Leni, we'll make a day of it.

Av8r - good advice on the AOPA thing.  I joined up last night and found a crap ton of good info.  Thanks!  :beerchug:

Posted

The EAA is much better than AOPA for info on experimentals and homebuilits. I joined AOPA when I was a student pilot and cancelled because they kept calling me every few weeks begging for me to donate money. Since I've cancelled I still get something in the mail from them begging me to renew at least once a week. I'm so sick of them it's not even funny. I'd steer clear..The magazine was not worth the membership for me since that's about the only thing I used from them.

Posted

The begging for money does get old, i'd agree, but...

They offer much with insurance services and purchase service programs for researching, title insurance and fund transfers.