Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gap tape question(s)

3 posts in this topic

Posted

What is the proper tape material to use for elevator gap sealing? Brand namesupplier would be helpful.

Any other info would be helpful too.

Right now, I'm just to lazy to google.

Posted

Last year at Sun-n-Fun I spoke with the people at the Kolb aircraft display and they told me they used a Scotch brand tape called "book tape" that is used for reinforcing and repairing book bindings.  I found it at either Staples or Wallgreens or maybe it was CVS...in any case it was not hard to find.  I laid out a length of it and then put another length of it on that piece at the halfway point...sticky to sticky.  Then I applied it to the top of the horizontal stabilizer ...pushed the other half though the gap and stuck it to the under side of the elevator (with the elevator in the full up - climb - position).  Did the same on the vertical stabilizer and rudder.  So far I have one season on the tape with no signs of deterioration.  My Avid lives in a hangar so that helps I am sure.  Hope this helps you!!!

'Mike

Posted

Get some UHMW tape.  I got a roll that is for bladder repair on my 18' raft.  Shit will stick like a mofo and lasts a long time.  When you need to replace, use a heat gun (be smart about it and dont get the fabric too hot but you allready knew that :lol: ) and it will come right off.

:beerchug: