Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anybody use the Bully Hawk Soft Start Module?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Nice video, and seems simple to install.

It appears to be the electronic version of the old fashion magneto retard system used on some round engines, which is the same principal as the impulse coupler on a modern mag. (as far as retarding the spark on start up.)

Since it is installed in series with just one original ignition circuit box, it would seem that only one set of spark plugs are being used at start up when the key is turned to " start".

I didn't see a price.

Update:  Just as I thought....  "The Soft Start Module (SSM) alters the timing on one ignition circuit."

http://www.bullyhawk.com/index.htm    Bully Hawk Price:  $199.95 USD

Posted

Looks like it might be money well spent for a 912uls or 914. One of our local guys flies a SeaRey w/ 914 and the only way to describe the start up / shut down is VIOLENT !! Shakes twice as much as the video, I'm surprised something hasn't broke yet.. lol. :o

Posted

I just fired up my Searey (912ULS) with the Soft Start Module installed. It definitely makes a difference, but not as much as I thought it would. I'm not sure how it's going to help on shut-down, which is more violent than start-up. But I am glad I bought it. It is supposed to be easier on the gearbox, motor mounts, etc. There must be something to the way the motor mounts are set up on a Searey, it just moves around so much. I don't know of any engine leaving a Searey in flight, so it must be alright (right?).

Mechanically, my Searey is ready to go. I am now waiting on paperwork to fly. Once it's in the air I'll be sure to post some pictures.

-Nate