Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

first un-intentional engine out

10 posts in this topic

Posted

whew... well just got back from a little flight that resulted in my first engine out.... I did a turn around the pattern then departed straight out to go play on the beack.  About 5 miles out I could see the tide was too high to play so I did a 180 and headed back.    Just as I got within reach of the airport for no good F'n reason the pilot cooling fan quit turning.  I had good fuel flow as I was just looking at the fuel burn.  Had good EGT at 1100.  Bitch would not restart in the air so I did a very short pattern and made the gravel runway.  tried it again and she fired but was runnin very rough.  Taxied in and tied down, pulled plugs and they looked pretty rich.  Tried to do a run up but she started popping and farting about 4000.  Got it up to 5500 but the popping and farting got worse.  Pulled power back and she did not want to stay running.  I tried running with the electric pump on but it still did the same thing.... tomorrow I am goona bring it home and pull the engine and see what the bad word happened.  Atleast I made the runway :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

Click here.  Ready for an upgrade?

Posted

I can't think of anything internal that would caust the simptoms you describe.

More likely it is external, as in grounding, shorting or shorting ignition switch.

Up grading will only solve the bank account problem.

Posted

Well ain't that a bitch, have a beer -or five- on me for keeping 'er outta the trees! Maybe it's a sign you need to get them Full Lotus airbags rigged up on the Avid...

Posted

The new 1450's will be here the 27th from Full Lotus.  They will be installed as soon as I get back from work.

I am not going to toss the 582, I have way too many hours behind one to be scared of a 2 stroke.  I have had an engine out on a lycoming too so I know 4 strokes fail just as well 2 strokes.  But I am certain Bob hit the nail onthe head with electrical.  Will know in a few hours as I am aboutt o leave the house and load the biatch up and bring her to Bobs shop for a teardown.  Good thing these are easy to work on and get to :lol:

Oh, and I did not bother with beer, I went straight to Sailor Jerrys and coke :lol:

Kinda fun telling the Navahoe on short final he gets to go around cause I am dead stick and taking the run way if he likes if or not.

Posted

we fingered it out... I had bought the 582 pistons off ebay from willwaynes and put them in... The rings on mine lost the temper just like they did on Bob, but his went after 3 hrs, mine made it 27 hours before they shit the bed.  Got new jugs from a buddy and dropped in a new set of stock rotax pistons and she fired right up and purred like it is spose to.  Tomorrow I will do the 1 hr break in then go play on the beaches.

Posted

Wow!  That's the quickest recovery from a 582 problem that I have heard of!!  Good for you in figuring it out.  An great that you will be shooting the beach and showing us som film of that tomorrow!!!  I have 46 hours on my 582 after learning a lesson about proper warming up prior to full throttle!!  A story in itself!  Looking forward to your successful beach flight.

Cheers, Mike

Posted

Well done on the FanStop and the subsequent figuring out.  I guess the moral about Ebay engine parts is obvious....

Ken

Posted

yeah, but on the flip side, I got a new set of stock rotax pistons off ebay with rings for 250 bucks.  That was what everyone wanted for one set..  But I did learn my lesson on the SPI pistons :lol:

The beach was a blast today and we did a quick spot landing contest.  I have no clue how many landings we made as we flew down about 60 miles then back.  As luck would have it, the kids used my video cam yesterday and the battery was totaly dead, but Bob got some on his that he should be posting up later.

Hope the weather holds out, if it does, we will go do it again in the morning.

Posted

Wow good thing it happened where it did! Congrats on keeping your cool and putting it down uneventfully. Others have had a runway under them and still crashed because they flipped out about the pilot fan not working.