Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hysol 9460 epoxy shelf life

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hysol 9460 epoxy cans have a 'use by' life stamped on the containers. Was curious if there was any margin of error, so to speak, so I just did a bit of research.

The manufacturer's MSDS product sheet dated 2001 states:

Storage

Store product in unopened container in a cool dry location. Ideal conditions are within the range 8 to 21 degrees C (46 to 70 degrees F) and are recommended for long term storage. Exposure to higher temperatures (greater than 28 degrees C) for prolonged periods should be avoided as extended exposure to warm conditions can adversely affect product properties. For further specific shelf life information, contact your local Technical Service Center.

A revision dated 02/08/2006 states:

HANDLING AND STORAGE

Handling:

Keep away from heat, spark and flame. Do not breathe mist or vapors. Keep container closed. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling.

Storage:

Store in original container until ready to use. Keep in a cool, well ventilated area away from heat, sparks and open flame. Keep container tightly closed until ready for use.

For information on product shelf life contact Henkel Customer Service at (800) 243-4874

For clarification, I called Henkel (their Item No. 83128_HARDENER) today and got the following info:

Shelf life is 18months from EITHER date of shipment or date on cans. Therefore, shelf life could in essence be as long as 36months.

I repeated the "as long as 36months" to be certain I heard correctly and it was confirmed. It sounds to me that this wording infers that so long as the product is stored unopened in ideal conditions, ie., at a distributor, it's good for at least 36months with little to no loss of efficacy.

I have opened but undated 9460 epoxy and hardener that appears fine, ie., not separated, dried out or hardened. I also have un-opened 9460 epoxy and hardener dated 05/31/08. If I have stored my unopened containers in the 'ideal conditions' noted above, would you hesitate to use for critical or structural applications?

Thought? 

Posted

I would just mix up a small test batch and see if it cures properly.  I have used it when it was 6 or 7 years old, but we never get the high temos that others down south get.  I dont think my garage ever breaks 70 or 75 and that is only for a few hours in the mid day if it does.  I would not have an issue using it and would not even think twice.... but I am just a snake oil salesman too :lol:

Posted

Well, the old open stuff still sticks like crazy if you ask me. I have no way to measure if it's as good as new really, other than wood tears and steel bolts bend before the epoxy fails. There is no doubt it would keep a rib on a spar, but the one critical structural job left is lift strut brackets to the spars and those are backed by plenty of rivets. After speaking directly to the distributor's tech service dept I feel a lot better about using the un-opened cans. 18mos from the 'use by date' is Nov. '09 and they've been stored properly, so I figure I'm in the approved 'window' and good to go. Last chance to voice any concerns...

Posted

do it to it.  I would without thinking twice.  The only concern is you holding up progress :lol:

Posted

Man, you don't know the half of it. Not much building got done here during the cold season but I'm back at it now. Did have our first splash of the year Wed. too.  :)