Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking at a Model IV

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm going to go look at a model IV Kitfox over the Memorial day weekend.

I'm putting together a "Checklist" of things that I want to look at on the airframe.  This board has some pretty knowledgeable folks, so how about it?  What would you look at to determine if the plane is worth buying?  Maybe a better question would be:  What constitutes a deal breaker on a model IV?

Thanks.  :siterocks:

Posted

To do a good buyers inspection, I would take the normal "condition inspection" checklist with me and go over it real good.. this is if you are looking at buying a flying plane.  When I bought mine, I knew it was a wrecked basket case and would be a total rebuild so I did not worry about anything other than getting it home and stripping it down to see what I was dealing with.  What engine does it have?  how many hours on saiengine and in the last how many years.  If it has a 582 in it, and is high time, or even worse, very low time in the last 5 or 6 years, you may be looking at pulling it down and putting new seals in it.  Or you could have a reputable rotax guy do a leak test on the seals and go from there.  I am not familliar with the 912, but I know they have a list of ADs to be complied with, some of which are VERY expensive (if none are complied with you are pretty much looking at half the cost of a new engine).

Attached is a pretty conventinal checklist that the avid / kitfox owners have been using for a long time.  Some apply some dont depending on the accessories / engine installed, use your judgment and NA the ones that dont really apply.

Get serious about this inspection as it is your ass up there, and you really want to catch shit on the ground not in the air!  I have seen "showbirds" that really just had a nice coat of paint hiding alot of issues, and have seen pretty ratty birds that are flown every day that were structually very sound just well used, so dont judge the "book by its cover".

whew, there is my $10.00 worth

:beerchug:

Avid Aircraft Conditional Inspection.doc

Posted

Thanks, Lenni.  That's what I'm looking for.

It's a 912UL - 80hp.  Definitely not a show winner, but I think well taken care of.

I'm still waiting on the SN of the motor to check the AD's and Service Bulletins.

Posted

Where are you located? Maybe someone near can help you out with another set of eyes..

Posted

The plane I'm looking at is in upstate New York.

Anyone in that neighborhood??

Posted

small world, what day?

Posted

Saturday the 23rd, flying into Albany at noon-ish.

I could fly out again Sunday morning or begin driving home with something in a truck...  :nobashing: