582 mod 90 rebuild options

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a mod 90 582 that was installed in my Avid in '93 and has not been rebuilt since as far as the logs say.  I am at 296.1 hours and was planning a 300 hour overhaul, at least this time especially because of the age.  I would like the ceramic seal upgrade and a complete going through as well.  I have rebuilt a few two stroke dirt bike engines through the years and had no problem using aftermarket parts, in fact I preferred them.  Now with this engine I feel like I should send it to Lockwood for a rebuild with OEM parts and a new crank yada yada yada at the tune of around $3k.  I know Rotax Rick and the like can do the job for around $2200 and most folks have been pleased with the work he has done.  Let me know your stories. 

Posted

LEAF did my rebuild on my 503, 4000 big ones. They did every thing they could to it. Every thing is brand new.

Posted

Ouch.  Mark, you need to stop over to Camp 75 this year at Airventure and talk to Steve, our resident 503 Guru...

Posted

I have been getting my cranks from twisted metal racing. The pistons from a seadoo are great and 75 each. A gasket kit for a 93 citation 582 for around 50 bucks and your golden. The ceramic seal is a couple hundred for the seal and case machining. No reason to be into a complete rebuild for more than grand.

:BC:

Posted

Ya, that hurt real bad!

Posted (edited)

I did a couple of 582 rebuilds. Well maybe not actual rebuilds because I do not have a boring bar and that stuff of my own. But I have torn these engines down at least half a dozen times. What I did was tear the engine(s) down at 150, 300, 450 on one, and 600 hours on two different 582's and completely clean them up and put them back together with new seals and gaskets. I never had a problem with RV seals after I learned about silica free antifreeze and distilled water so I never did the ceramic seals myself.

At 600 hours on one engine tore it down and sent the old crank and cylinders to Lockwood. They bored the cylinders to 1st over and fit new pistons and sent me a new crank and pistons using the original crank as trade in. I reassembled the engine and ran it till I sold the plane with it running great.

The other 582 after routine inspection and cleaning teardowns I sent to Lockwood at 600 hours and had them do everytthing, a complete overhaul including the ceramic seal mod. It also worked flawlessly and is still running in a friend's plane.

Here's the most interesting thing. I do not know if they still have the deal going as when I sent the engine off to them for the rebuild, but when I did the price was no different for them to do the rebuild INCLUDING LABOR than it was for me to buy the parts, have them bore the cylinders and fit the pistons and put it back together myself. The only difference was additional shipping cost.and the extra to have them machine the block to install the RV with ceramic seal.  And their rebuild looked like a brand new engine unlike my re assemblies which did not look like new engines because I do not have cleaning tanks and so forth.

If I were you I would price the parts from Lockwood and price them doing the entire job. I found there was virtually no difference....except the TON of hours I spent doing the labor myself.

If things are still the same it's a real no brainer. Have Lockwood do the overhaul. Seems like the cost of parts or complete overhaul was in the neighborhood of $2300 which ever way you go if I remember correctly. It's been a few years.

I learned a lot doing my own teardowns and don't regret doing them, but If the numbers still wotk out like they did when I priced the O'haul, it is almost stupid to do it yourself.

Edited by ChrisB

Posted

Mines going back to Rotax Rick after this season. It has 330 on the top end and 440 TT. I was flying it a mile offshore over the Pacific Ocean last Saturday. The stator died and required me to pull the motor about 100 hrs ago but that's the only issue I've had with it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I never had a problem with RV seals after I learned about silica free antifreeze and distilled water so I never did the ceramic seals myself.

Not to steal this post but what "about silica free antifreeze and distilled water" ? I have an old 0 time 532 that I'm planning to use soon until the budget allows for a 582 and it has the old style seal. what should I do to make it most reliable? It has never been run before but has sat for 25+ years should I tear it down and replace the gaskets/ seals anyway? what about the seal. I don't want to put more than I have to into it because I would like to replace it anyways but I do want it to be safe though and this post caught my attention.

-Robert-

Posted

I would definitely re seal it! You can get a complete gasket kit for around 50 bucks.

Posted (edited)

I would definitely re seal it! You can get a complete gasket kit for around 50 bucks.

50 bucks where? best I have found is $100.00 http://www.powersportsupply.co/products/Rotax-532-Engine-full-gasket-seal-set-ultralight-aircraft-engine.html plus 40 bucks for the ceramic water pump seal http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTAX-582-BLUEHEAD-CERAMIC-WATER-PUMP-SEAL-/310652854218?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item48545a5fca&vxp=mtr which i think any machine shop should be able to fit up for me.

Edited by High Country

Posted

I have nothing but great things to say for Rotax Rick. He can certainly rebuild your 582. I would seriously consider upgrading to either the 618 or 670 using the 582 as a doner "core" to offset the cost with parts like the ignition and head. Either way you'll have a great motor. 

I have a 618 on my trike that is an amazing motor. Just might swap the 618 to the KF but am drooling over the 670.

If you want to go super cheap you can always do it yourself but I can say that the parts aren't cheap and you'll have a ton of time in the project. What is your time worth, especially if you only have evenings and weekends to do the job, what are those hours worth? Rick can get it done and back to you fast also.

Just my $0.02 after doing a bit of engine swapping recently.