Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Model A cable brake rudder pedals

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Not looking to spend much, these are a temporary use if at all, but am looking for a set of the old cable operated brake rudder pedals, Does anyone have a set they would let go of cheap?

1 person likes this

Posted

I think I still have my originals laying around somewhere, if you're still looking I will try and dig them up the first of the week when I get back home and you can have them if you pick up the freight, I don't imagine it would be more than 10 bucks at best. let me know

-Robert-

Posted

Robert,

If you could post a photo or two of those type of pedals, the uneducated, like me, would appreciate knowing the differences between them and the hydraulic brake pedals - might even recognize a set some day if I ever see some.

Thanks,

EDMo

Posted

I I still had them I could take a picture, but then I wouldn't need them They had little pieces of tubing that held the cable ends, I was hoping that someone else might be able to post a picture. My set developed legs while it was in the old hangar, now that I am in the new hangar and ready for reassembly I will have to make some.

I was going to go with hydrauliv brakes, but decided that I would go with the parts I have and do that conversion later.

Posted

Maybe Robert can help you out, and post some photos.

EDMO

Posted

I've got a set from my B model. Not sure if the A and B were identical or not.

Posted

Joey, I think they are exactly the same until they went to hydraulic.

I will still have to look for mine but will not be home until some time after the first of the week. I will get some photos up and if track welder can get some use out of them I will send them to you

Posted

I would gladly pay your expense and a reasonable amount for the pedals, I will eventually switch to Hydraulic Brakes, but am trying to finish this plane without anymore modifications, The rudder pedals and installing windows and some other sheet metal and I am done, After 10 years it is about time and with 3 grass strips I really only need brakes for taxiing so the cable brakes I have should do fine thank you.

Posted

I would gladly pay your expense and a reasonable amount for the pedals, I will eventually switch to Hydraulic Brakes, but am trying to finish this plane without anymore modifications, The rudder pedals and installing windows and some other sheet metal and I am done, After 10 years it is about time and with 3 grass strips I really only need brakes for taxiing so the cable brakes I have should do fine thank you.

I will dig mine out next time at the hangar. Cover the shipping and you can have them.

Posted

The first person that says they have them and can give me a price and address gets a check, Upgraded my wing struts to 1 inch tubing, last modification from original that I want to do until it flies.

Posted (edited)

B model Pedals will also work in fact any pedal for an Avid or Kitfox with cable brakes would do the job, I am sure I could build these on my own, but I would rather buy a set and adapt to hydraulics later, waiting on Pedals before I build my firewall, so If anyone can give me the height of where the bend for the firewall is at I would appreciate it.

Next warm day the cabin top and the turtle deck is being built, I will get to try out my 3 in one brake.

Edited by Trackwelder

Posted

I haven't had a chance to look for the pedals yet as I've been out of town for a while maybe Joey will beat me to it? as for your firewall concerns which airframe are you working with? does the lower front execute with a piece of tubing going nicely from left to right down at the feet or do you just have the four small tabs sticking out front that the rudder pedals bolt onto? Mine is the older one with just the four tabs so when I bent my firewall a couple weeks ago I made the lower end stick out about 2.5" in front of these tabs giving me just a little more foot room and a better place to mount my master cylinders. If you have the flat bottom than you already have the more forward mounting position in which case you can just make it go right straight into it. I hope this makes since I will try and get some pics of my new firewall in the next couple days so you can see what I'm talking about in

-Robert-

Posted

here is a pic I found of my airframe you can see the four small tabs in the lower front foot well. My original firewall was executed right at the tips of the longest two my new fire wall extends about 2.5" in front of them. Hope this helps

post-352-0-85799300-1396349116_thumb.jpg

Posted

I have the same style of fuselage, but I have a short inseam and am not really worried about leg room, did the firewall get bent out just below the motor mounts, or does it need to e lower for engine clearance?

Posted

the firewall is flat against the top two motor mounts going down the the next four mounts from there about the bottom of that tube going from left to right it bends forward aprox 5" then back again sloping back into the foot wells. if you make it stick out in front of the current tabs 1-3" it will give you a nice place later to mount the lower end of the master cylinders to. If you have a pull starter you will also have to cut a hold in the center and make a box for it.

-Robert-

post-352-0-23921800-1396453081_thumb.png

Posted

Thanks for the Drawing, I had a rough idea, but wasn't sure enough to bend the firewall without having pedals, I am using an E box so I do not have the starter at the rear. Nice artwork

Posted

Do you have the fiberglass bootcowl?  you need to match firewall to it.

EDMO

Posted

I have a B model 2 piece cowl, that has had the radiator scoop removed and glassed over, quite badly actually, still looking for the proper rudder pedals, Weather has turned to winter again so I have time.

Posted

Do you need the rudder bars or the pedals that connect to the bars? I found my bars yesterday in the hangar but danged if I know what I did with the pedals themselves.

Posted

Yes, I could use the bars, and if anyone ha at least a picture of the pedals that would help

Posted

I'm using my original rudder bars so hopefully Joey can come to the rescue there but I did however locate the original pedals for the cable breaks I've been pretty busy lately but will try and get some pics for you in the next couple days and you can decide for yourself if you want to just fab some up, it would be real easy, or you can have these ones. all that said I've had the old style brakes on a skyraider and hated them and I always flew from dirt or grass strips. I think it would be in your best interest to go for the hydraulic brakes yes its not cheap but I think its worth it. just my .02 whatever you decide It would be real easy to fab up your own parts or just use these ones and you could easily use the same torque tubes later if you decide to go hydraulic, it is wise to add some small gussets to where the uprights come off of the main torque tube and also the tabs where the rudder cables attach. I'm assuming you can weld based off your name but if not just some hysol and rivets should work fine for the gussets. good luck

-Robert-

Posted

If your interested, I am going to be taking my old Matco masters off and putting on the newer ones that use the remote reservoir sometime this summer.  I already have the new masters, I just have to modify the tabs on my rudder bar to be able to install them.  The old Masters will be your for the taking if you want them.

:BC:

Posted

Let me know what the shipping and other costs are, and I will be happy to take them off of your hands, Hydraulic is the way I want to go, but I am so close to getting airborne that I will put it together with whatever parts I can get.

I was a professional welder but worked with heavier gage steel, as a hobby I have been welding lighter stuff, gas and Tig, If I had good pictures and a rough idea of measurents I could build them from what I have on hand.

I heard through the grapevine, that there was a brick building up in the rural part of Alaska that they shipped in the bricks using flat rate boxes, they were cheaper than anything else.

1 person likes this

Posted

:lol:

That does not surprise me in the least.. Shipping costs are STUPID up here.

:BC:

Posted

PM sent...