Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Project 64.5 Mustang

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Well since we have some gearheads on here I thought I better post up some pics of my "other project" that I've been devoting time to lately. This car is a Dearborn MI born true 64 1/2 Mustang. It was originally a D Code with a 289 and it's still rocking the generator. It currently has a mildly built 302 in it but it's tired. This car looked pretty decent and had a disc brake conversion and power steering. I had looked at about 15 before this one came along. We wanted one that we could enjoy right away but still work on and restore and it seemed like most of them either needed everything done yet $$$$$ or were show cars $$$$. This one was kind of in between but it's been a basket case in it's own way. I just recently rewired the entire interior and did a makeover of it in the process by restoring the gauges, and putting in a new dash pad, new center console with a custom touch, and some LED lighting.

Enough blabbing...on to pics. I will try and keep the thread updated as it's about to get interesting. I have a Ford Racing 306 crate motor sitting at one of our members house in Sparks Nevada (Thanks again Dan).

IMG_0048-1.jpg

This thing needs to go

IMG_0063-1.jpg

Just a few of the many mystery surprises I've found along the way. Not sure what the intention of this thingy was but it was cross threaded down it's entire length.

hoodlatch.jpg

Some sweet wiring

IMG_1145-1.jpg

This cobbled together mess was holding the drivers seat together.

IMG_1154.jpg

I had a custom plate built to house my stereo and gauges in the center console. I think it came out really nice.

DSC_0188.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

she be looking good!  The wife is gonna love the new engine!  May as well have your credit card on file at the local tire shop :lmao:

:BC:

Posted

I've always had a love affair with craigar ss rims.Had a jet black 65 fairlane 500 with those same rims and polished up on a cloudy day that baby turned heads!! :drool3: Seeing this mustang of yours makes me wanna get back at it but no time. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks good Joey,see you at the strip.Randy

Posted

Nice Joey, I love that era.  I had a 64 falcon and a 63 ranchero in the past.  the 64 falcon dash looks very similar.  Don't you know about that method of making your own locknuts.  :lmao:  It always amazes me what some people do to cars, glad to see you rescued this one before the previous "mechanic" did too much fixing on it.  Look forward to the progress.

Posted (edited)

Don't anyone recognize the "unknown object" as a "tamperproof hood locking device" - Took a lot of effort to mess up all those threads so nobody could take it off!  :lol:   Really surprised that they didn't weld it.

Seriously, we did chain our hoods down for safety and preventing thefts.....

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

When I was working for the Union Pacific, our Gang was made up o about 50% Midwesterners, and when we were in LA, people were always hunting for the classic vehicles, I hauled back one 64.5 mustang that had never been outside of Riverside County in it's life. A true survivor but it only had the 6 cylinder, I was about 15 minutes late from buying it, but I still got my fuel paid for hauling it back.

Edited by Trackwelder

Posted

We are in Reno this weekend picking up the 340HP Ford Racing 306!

1 person likes this

Posted

Picked up the motor today! Thanks to one of our members Dan for letting me ship it to his house and take up space in his garage for a  few weeks!

d27cf361-b513-40ca-b9f0-1f28f7f1f3aa.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

saaaaaaweeeeet!!!   Momma gonna love that under the hood! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Slow but sure progress on the Mustang....

Not much really but was quite a bit of work so thought I would take the time to post a few pictures. I almost just bought a whole new one but looking back I'm glad I put in the time and just made this one pretty again. My interior is all black so I figured painting it wouldn't hurt. My original intention was just to put in a new core because the heat has never worked in the car but there was no way I could put it back together the way it was. I didn't make it perfect but it's a whole lot better than it was.

Found this laying in the bottom...once again another half *** job at trying to fix something before I got it.

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1281-1.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

Posted

Motor and Trans are out. Have spent the last 3 weeks prepping the engine bay for paint. Getting close then hopefully I can start putting stuff back in!

Nasty

IMG_1210.jpg

Right before I pulled out all the generator wiring

IMG_1228.jpg

Posted

More progress on the Mustang

IMG_1208-1.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

Before..No seal... dried up seam sealer

IMG_1181-1.jpg

New seal and new seam sealer on only the seams

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Battery Tray... Solid but needed some helpIMG_1203-1.jpg

What the overall engine bay looked like

IMG_1204-1.jpg

Current shot from tonight...wiring going back in, hood rubbers in, heater box back in, and lots of small stuff that you guys know eats up time.

I've also rebuilt the front end and put in a 1" adco swaybar and new shocks. IMG_0002.jpg

Posted

Nice car!! I can totally relate as I have been building a 69 for my daughter- I think ours was a little rougher than yours though when we started. My friends always gave me a hard time when we were building it(took a little over 2 and 1/2 years) that I would never let her drive it- the last pic is it sitting in the high school parking lot!!!post-736-0-87867300-1401459569_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-01170900-1401460141_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-72980200-1401460250_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-48430700-1401460290_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-62911800-1401460307_thumb.jpg

Posted

You've got to love that; those are some classic beauties.  You guys can sure be proud of your work on those!

I still have my original High School car, a 62 Chev Impala 2D HT.  I inherited it from my grandparents who bought it new.  It's been stored in OR for the past 25 years now so I will need to completely go through it to get it road worthy again.  Another one of those projects I have packed away. :rolleyes:   Joey mentioned the ADCO sway bar he just installed; I remember when I added ADCO sway bars to my 62; one of the best improvements in handling ever.  Those and a good set of wide radials made it feel like a roadster compared to what it was before.  With the original soft slung suspension and bias ply tires it had, you couldn't go around a corner without feeling like it was going to roll the tires off the rims. :lmao: Love those sway bars!

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry I haven't been doing a real good job keeping this updated. Started the new motor today on open headers. What a rush! Took a while to get fuel to the carb but once the bowls filled she fired right up. My initial timing setting was really close and idled nice and smooth. Can't wait to drive it!

IMG_0133-1.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Awesome clean looking set-up, and it sounds better than it looks! I realize the camera probably isn't picking up the sound quite right in the garage though.

That feeling you get when it fires right up is the best! Great job.

Posted

Sweetness!  A little trick for when you run those carbs dry, the little holes on the top of the carb (not the main throat but the small holes on the side of the throat) go straight to the float bowls.  I use my RC hand crank pump and stick the nozzle into the holes and fill them full of gas which fills the float bowls.  This gives you instant start ups while you are drawing fuel up from the tank.

Posted

Bitchin!

Posted

Thumbs up and rep'd. I love that loopy idle on a cam'd engine. I would suggest you NOT put your good wheels and tires on right away, at least, not until the first dozen or so Clorox burnouts!

1 person likes this

Posted

Car is up and running and wow it rips with this new motor and is an absolute blast to drive. Here's a couple of before and after pics I wanted to share. The pics kind of speak for themselves but there is a ALOT of hours in this project over the past 5 months. Glad its done at least for this phase of it's life. Now onto my latest gear project!!

How it looked the day I bought it.
IMG_0063-2.jpg

Ford Racing X306D Dressed 306 CI 340HP 350ft/lb crate motor
IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0064-1.jpg

IMG_0200-2.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks very nice , I got a 67 camaro  that I would like to put a new engine in ,but to busy building planes at the moment

Posted

Very nice! Glad to hear it turned out so well. I'm sure the wife is very happy about it.

Posted

Very nice Joey!

Posted

Sweet! I want a ride...Better yet a drive! :-)