Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Legal advise

10 posts in this topic

Posted

There's a guy over on team Kitfox who is in need.

I'd encourage anyone here how may have some knowledge to read his story and maybe offer some help.

Long story short, his CFI took the plane (Kitfox III) out without permission and ground looped it. Now the guy has a wrecked plane and no way to repair it.

Just trying to help a brother out...

Posted (edited)

If it was a CFI, he won't have anything to get from a legal battle with him. I have over 1600 hours of dual given, there's no money in it. But he still should go after him. That's straight out theft, even a small claims court wouldn't take long to garnish his wages or at least get a judgment against him.

It's too bad that people don't think about what they do all that often anymore. Sorry for this guys wrecked plane, just a crappy situation.

I didn't see that post on teamkitfox, what was the thread name?

EDIT: I just found the post. Sounds like there isn't much he can do if the FBO denies that the instructor flew it on his own time. Still think that taking the guy to court would be fruitless as far as getting much from him, but I would do it out of principle. Too many things like this get thrown away because our system doesn't work for the little guy that is doing things the right way.

Edited by lostman

Posted

Good example of locking your plane - and keeping the keys in your pocket - IMO

EdMO

Posted

This appears a small claims court matter at the least.

Posted

Small claims court here in Missouri is a bad joke - either $500 or $1000 limit, and you have no power to collect!

EDMO

Posted

I agree with Ed. The court house just scares me anyway. I didn't read the story but if the guy who screwed up had any balls he would just come clean. Now having ground looped once myself I can say fixing that wing is doable. Just a real big pain in the ass(checkbook). Gentlemen.

Posted

Get the Police and FAA involved...that A-hole doesn't need to be flying!

The Owner will never get enough money to replace his plane and suing people sucks! More hassle than it is ever worth and it takes so long that you find yourself stuck thinking about the bad situation for longer than it is worth! Plus, the lawyers take such a large chunk that it would not replace the damage!

Punish him with jail or losing his ticket, Please...Nobody else needs him doing that to their plane.

Posted (edited)

If the guy, or your insurance, wont pay - Get a Lawyer!

The cops and the Feds don't care if you get paid for fixing your plane.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I had a cousin who lost his ticket for shooting at a rural stop sign, If he doesn't have any fear of losing his CFI certificate, he definitely doesn't belong teaching

Posted

I thought those came with bullet holes in them?

1 person likes this