Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid rebuild

33 posts in this topic

Posted

I whole heartedly DO NOT recomen high speed taxi.  Dont F around with it on the ground unless you like repairing the wing tips and gear legs.  Power up all the way and go for it.  Just remember, takeoff is optional landing is mandantory.  Shit will be happening ALOT faster than in the ole champ.  Nothing to be scared of, just be wary of it!  3 point it and keep that tail wheel on the ground on rollout and your life will be better!

:beerchug:

Posted

During transition (and even later) it was recommended to me to take the cam plate off the tailwheel so that it cannot unlock and go to swivel mode.

Many a Kitfox and Avid have been damaged due to a slightly loose tailwheel to rudder alignment which causes the tailwheel to go to swivel during landing.

Just a piece of advise I got from a 2000 hour Kitfox driver.

Posted

Got my plane ready for W&B tonite. The inspection plates are temp installed until I get my conditional done but she sure looked good ready to fly.

Photo0249.jpg

Posted

she be looking GOOOOOOOOOOOOD.  If I was you, I would not be able to wait for paperwork and other crap to fly it.  As soon as mine was what I was sure was airworthy, I flew the crap out of it causde the A&P was on vacation and I just could not wait another 3 weeks to fly it... self restraint is not one of my stronger points :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

Ya no shit it's driving me nuts as it is! Glad it's only a week longer.. I will be doing taxi testing this week while waiting for sure though!

Posted

Leni is right. I would not do any high speed taxi's. Slow taxi is alright on the taxi way. When on the runway go balls to the wall. If you have a choice stay off the pavement and use the grass, much more forgiving. If your full swivel tail wheel lets loose on rollout you will ground loop. Make sure it is working right, been there done that.

Posted

My Maule TW is not working quite right. I can break it loose by grabbing the handles on the tail and pulling really hard but I can't get it break loose while taxiing. I still have my tension spring set up for now. My compression spring set up needs some work. I read in the "other site" that you don't want a swiveling tw while learning anyways.

Posted

I was searching for this post earlier today regarding my latex painting and as I was scrolling thru I realized that there was no ending to the story. At least on this thread. Here is the first flight video from 2009. The ending pretty much sums out how I felt about the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/aFaE_Uin4OA