Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Flyers/Rotax 582's doing Aerobatics?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone have videos of Avid's doing aerobatics? Anybody got a story of

doing aerobatic maneuvers in an Avid? How about aerobatics with a Rotax 582?

Simple loops or chandelles?

Posted

have you done a youtube search?  I cant do one right now as the company geeks have youtube blocked.  I have seen several vids of avids doing rolls and pools etc, but they were the speed wing aerobat versions.  Not sure I would want to roll the stol wing.  Based on experience with RC models, the undercambered wing does not like to be upside down.  The 582 has no issues with positive G manuvers and is used in several aerobatic planes.  You go negative and the bing carbs will shut down the fuel flow to the float bowls and that presents a bit of an issue.  A quick negative manuver would be OK but if sustained for any length of time you are looking at a fuel starvation issue.

Posted

That's sort of what I thought.  Don't think I will chance it personally but am curious to see/hear about others who have.  Thanks for the reply!

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHqxTxyLjys

This one shows the MK IV speed wing doing rolls and 4 point rolls.

On another note, I am interested in the performance #s on your "C" HH.

Looking to compare cruise speed, Cruise RPM, take off distance, stall, fuel burn, rate of climb at XX speed etc.  Do you have any numbers?

I am going to pull out the tape measure and get some hard data on take off, landing distances etc when I get in on the 9th.

Posted

Hey!  Thanks for the link...seen it before ..but it's always fun to watch!! :beerchug: 

As far as the performance #s on my C HH...I will need to start watching and measuring what the heck is going on when I take off, land, stall, etc...

All kidding aside, I don't have real specific numbers on all that but I can tell you that when I cruise at 60 mph indicated I have had fuel flow indications of 3.5 GPH on my Rotax 582 Grayhead.  That is with a HacMan system installed where I can adjust my mixture for best EGT.  I don't have enough hours on everything yet to provide what I would call conclusive numbers.  But...I will start paying close attention and measuring take off distances etc so we can compare notes.  BTW I have VG's on my wings and on the lower surface of my horizontal stabilizer as well as gap sealing tape on the elevator and rudder gaps so take that into consideration when I provide numbers.  Hopefully those mods will show some advantage...otherwise...off they come!! :banghead:

Cheers, Mike