Empty weights

45 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm hoping just a couple hours of going over everything again for the 1000'th time and then sending in the paperwork. I've already talked to the DAR and was told he normally gets the paperwork within 5 days from the FAA. He's only 30 min. from me and likes to get these done as soon as he can so realistically I could have the inspection done in the next two weeks if I get busy.

Heres a pic from a few weeks ago.

post-379-0-55424300-1398988493_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Congrats on getting so close!  Time to show us the first flight pics!! 

:BC:

Posted

Nice looking 912 install! 1 Question and 1 comment:

I don't see a radiator hole in the cowl. How are you cooling oil and water?

I see you have the stock nose fork. Those can work great no matter what some will say, but you will want to make sure it has a doubler that either came installed or you put in. otherwise it can buckle. It's a pretty old AD for Avids, but with the big plane (MKIV with big engine) it is an absolute necessity, and your fork may not have come with the doubler installed from the factory.

Posted

That is looking great and it sounds like you will have a real performer!.  On additional comment; I can't see the gas cap vents.  I know there is some discussion on this and recently on this forum but the most trouble free and proven method is to vent through the caps.

Posted

Good eye's fellas and without going into to much detail and sidetracking this thread to much. The vents are in the caps thanks to some 3/16" brake line. There's a doubler in the nose gear tube and the picture is just at the right angle to not show the standard Avid 912 smiley face opening for the radiator. The oil tank is under the baggage compartment and doesn't have a cooler except the two lines running under the fuse in the wind.

Posted (edited)

Im hoping to keep mine at 500lbs thats my goal with every option and 582 wish me luck, might have to raise that if I decide to stick a brs in the baggage area for phase 1 test flying

Edited by TJay

Posted (edited)

My Avid B weighed 445 with a pull start and 532. Header tank behind the instrument panel, and two 5 gallon aluminum wing tanks. Don't put anything extra on the plane unless it passes this test. Hold the part above the ground. Let it go. If it doesn't hit the ground, put it on.... Easier said than done I know. Lighter plane performs better. That little Avid B would go from standing still to 500' AGL faster than a Super Cub with 150 HP when we timed them both. Jim Chuk

PS I have a 1200 lb BRS that I'm not going to use.....

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

The Bandit weighs 480 with shorter wings and smaller tail, and sparce interior - 500 is a good goal, but think somewhere between 500 and 600 is more realistic with 2 wing tanks - your big landing gear and some large tires will add some weight too.

EDMO

My bird is getting too heavy - Got to try to lighten it - Just don't know how yet!

Would like to be under 850, but 800 would be better.

May have to fly with one seat and no doors or turtledeck (Open cockpit?)

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

My Avid MK IV with the Jabiru engine weighed 585. That's the plane that I just painted the fuselage for. Spent a bit of time today starting to put things back into it. Jim Chuk

Posted

Mine weighed 533 with the E box and 2 radiators. I think we went way overkill on silver on the wings too. The original weight and balance with no electrical system and 532 was 484. I suspect mine is approaching 550 now with the upgrades I've done. It has 2 14 gallon wing tanks, no interior, sling seat, and no lighting at all besides the strobe on the tail.

Dean told me every pound is 6 ft per second climb.

Posted

ha Jim, Everytime I drop something it bounces right up in the plane and lands somewhere that i can see it.

Posted

I got to wondering where i was at so I stuck everything I could think of in my plane and weighed it, Im 420.6 lbs with out glass, paint, fabric, and wood streamlining material. I think I will be more in the 520lbs range, when finished that sounds normal.

post-999-0-62579700-1425599134_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Where is the engine and prop? I'm sure its in the 420 lbs.

Is that a set of seat covers in photo? I was going to sell you some.

Looks like you have reinforced the longerons for that cool Big LG.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

We kept ours very minimal, 582 pull start, no interior, dual wing tanks, HH rib spacing/spars, very basic and came in at 526lbs. My goal was to keep it under 550 so I'm happy with it. performs nicely 

1 person likes this

Posted

My c model sn 958 weighs 585 pounds empty. I have dual wing tanks, custom tall wide spring gear, whelen strobes, electric pitch trim and 21 inch desser tires. Radio transponder, ifly GPS, and boiler guages too. Carpet and full lexan doors. Dual matco brake caliper set up. I wish it was a bit lighter but it is what it is. I'm about 30 pounds too heavy I should probably start there.

Posted

Good eye's fellas and without going into to much detail and sidetracking this thread to much. The vents are in the caps thanks to some 3/16" brake line. There's a doubler in the nose gear tube and the picture is just at the right angle to not show the standard Avid 912 smiley face opening for the radiator. The oil tank is under the baggage compartment and doesn't have a cooler except the two lines running under the fuse in the wind.

I realize this is from a year ago and could not see where I or anyone else commented on the oil tank location. The oil tank in baggage area was abandoned by kitfox and avid due to problems. I thought it was a supherb idea, and I know some planes were built that way. My avid 912 install instructions say to mount the tank in the baggage area. I am pretty sure the approach was abandoned because the oil level in the tank cannot go over the top of the prop centerline or oil can siphon into the engine, and it is not allowed to be more than 400mm lower than the prop flange, or the suction system rotax incorporates may not be able to lift the oil.

I suspect but am not sure, that that approach may have resulted in oil starvation during extended high angle climbs due to exceeding the 400mm suction elevation limit. 

I thought about putting the oil tank in the baggage area before I knew they had actually done it because there are so many benefits. Improved W&B and better oil cooling. But I was told NO DON"T DO IT! It has caused problems! So you might want to look into it.

Posted

MY skyraider super came in at 594lbs 10 ballast in tail, 912 uls 100hp.post-897-0-38551400-1435083476_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I was able to keep the finished weight of my Model C to 485lbs empty weight.

MarkD

1 person likes this

Posted

MarkD That is a great wt to be at, I bet it really performs good.

Posted

Avid Flyer Mk IV serial number 1174, with very light equipment, 14 gal wing tank, and 582 Rotax, 1150 MGW, 543 Empty Weight.