Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Takeoff distance

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wondering what everybody's takeoff distance is in feet ? Next time I fly I will have to check mine.  The fastest I took off, circled and landed was 45 seconds. My new F7a's are working great. It makes it a new handling airplane. Set them at about -1 or level. The flaps are set at 15 degrees.

Posted

I can get off in about 150' with just me and full fuel (36 gallons).  2 people and full fuel it is a different story.. about 250-300'.  I can get in alot shorter than I can get out.  I think alot of my issue is the big heavy tires I am running.  They are about 40# more than I need to be packing infront of the CG :lol:

Posted

What's the empty weight of your bird, Lenni?

Posted

581 empty.  That is with the 24" double heavy old style aircraft tundra tires.

Posted

Just wondering what everybody's takeoff distance is in feet ? Next time I fly I will have to check mine.  The fastest I took off, circled and landed was 45 seconds. My new F7a's are working great. It makes it a new handling airplane. Set them at about -1 or level. The flaps are set at 15 degrees.

kinda funny how the guys that have tried the new F7a's are all for them, and say it makes a difference.  The guys that have not tried them, just tell you how much you dont need them.  True the plane can be flown without them, but damn, they do make a difference, and are nice to have..

I am going to experiment with my flaps and see how much I can get without getting reversal.  With the new F7a mixers, we should be able to run alot more flap without getting into the reversal cause by the down flaperon drag as we dont get near as much down with aileron deflection now.

:beerchug:

Posted

Measured my takeoff distance tonight. With the brakes on and at full power, after rolling about 140' with the tail up I pulled full flaps, broke ground at 160'. Tried it again with no flaps. Broke ground at about 200'.  My prop was set for cruise though. This weekend I will play with the pitch to see if I can improve on this.

Posted

I hope to get into town this weekend for the EAA pancake breakfast.  If I do, I am sure we will be doing some"unofficial" measuring if Randy comes down.  Should know later today if I can pull off a jail break on Friday and get down there.

:beerchug:

Posted

Leni,

Most of my flying is done local. I use premium car gas with no boose in it. Can I mix and burn 100LL in my 503 if I need gas at a airport ?

Mark

Posted

I know that alot of guys are burning 100LL in 2 strokes.  Most agree that you should use decalin if you do.  It is a lead scavanger.  If you only run 100ll every once in awhile, I have not seen any issues with it.  If you run it all the time, there have been known issues with lead plating the crank bearings.  I ran 100 LL in my 600 snowmachines for a season without issue.  When I tried it in the 1000 the engine ran like crap and just would not perform.  Go back to normal pump gas and she pulled like a raped ape.

My brother ran 100ll in his 582 for about 150 hrs without using decalin and it never had any issues... seems like some have good luck while others have issues right away.

Posted

Just curious what the 2-stroke guys are running for static RPM and cruize RPM and speed.

Thanks,

Randy

Posted

I set the prop for 6300 at run up and it gives me about 66-6700 on takeoff.  I bump in a little more pitch in cruise to keep the EGT's at 1100 to 1150.  normal cruise is 5600 giving me an average ground speed of 72 on the GPS.  Fuel burn at 5600 is 4.8 GPH at 5800 it goes to 5.8 to 6 GPH.  WOT on take off shows 7.8 GPH.